View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #9
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
I just can't believe that. ? ? ? However, I wouldn't put it past them to force the site to turn over all records of the users to Homeland Security, who will then put them in an unsecured storage and lose them permanently.
Turns out you are correct. Anonymizer is not run by the government but, instead, works with the government to provide unfiltered access to the internet from within countries where access is limited by the foreign government. In any event, I think your last point is probably pretty accurate.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityFocus.com
A pact between the U.S. government and the electronic privacy company Anonymizer, Inc. is making the Internet a safer place for controversial websites and subversive opinions -- if you're Iranian.
Unintended Risks and Consequences of Circumvention Technologies: The IBB's Anonymizer Service in Iran
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OpenNet Initiative
? ? ? It is curious to find the United States government promoting a tool to circumvent Iranian limits on freedom while imposing crude and, even by its own standards, widely overdrawn limits of its own.

? ? ? There is also the potential risk to users who think they are using an "anonymous" circumvention technology, which can, in fact, be traced and tracked.
edited to fix link

Last edited by Beestie; 09-30-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote