View Single Post
Old 06-20-2002, 08:23 AM   #7
bluebomber
Lurking in the Shadows

not that it makes it right, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
This is of a mother celebrating with her son. He's about to go on a suicide mission - an attack on some Israeli soldiers that are guarding a settlement. They both know that he's going to die, but they're rejoicing in the likelihood that he'll be able to take out a soldier or two before they get him. Indeed, he and another suicide gunman managed to kill two Israeli soldiers before they were shot dead.

Now... since she had knowledge of the crime that was going to be committed and did nothing to stop it, should Israel or the Palestinian Authority lock her up? I say "yes".
Not that I support the cause, but at least this guy is attacking a military target of what could (more or less) reasonably be called an occupying army. Israeli soldiers are at least in a position to defend themselves against such an attack. It is certainly a tragedy that two soldiers had to die. It is also fortunate that the soldiers that were wounded are not loaded up with shrapnel, rocks, rat poison, etc. Also, given that they were prepared for combat, the psychological trauma of such a situation seems like it would be somewhat less severe than being on a bus that was bombed.

I do agree that the joy in the woman's face in sending her son off to die is disturbing.