View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #384
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
I disagree. I think there has been a great deal of progress made in the areas you describe already. However, philosophy will continue, just as religion and science will continue to argue until the end of time. In my opinion, philosophical thought will continue to be as important as religious dogma and scientific theories for there will always be debate over the most basic questions.

While I agree that there will always be a debate over the most basic questions, I don't think that philosophy will be able to "answer" those questions, due to it's basic nature, which is argumentative and subjective.

Science, on the other hand, is objective, and MAY be able to answer some of those basic questions, eventually, or at least put forth logical theories.

For instance, anthropology used to be an area of philosophy (Poor Jean-Jacques!); the philosophical arguments concerning anthropology (like Rousseau's "Noble Savage") turned out to be way off the mark.

Ideas of good and evil are subjective and change over time, so there will probably never be a consensus on it.

So I'd have to say that I'd tend to agree with TS in that I believe that philosophical questions will become more focused as science discovers more and more.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 07-13-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote