View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 12:42 PM   #51
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

As far as scottish versus "normal" english, it's all in the ear.

The scottish brogue is one of my all time favorite accents (my knees go weak just hearing it) but it is something you have to train your ear to really understand. And there is a difference in dialects between Aberdeen and Edinburgh, in the way they pronounce things.

The language itself isn't much different between British English, but can be very different from American English. (A boot in Britain is the storage compartment of a car, but in the US it's what you wear on your feet. In the US, the storage compartment on a car is called a trunk, which is luggage in the UK. A bonnet in the UK is what Americans call the "hood" of the car, but in the US, a "bonnet" is a rarely used term for a ladies hat.)

So, bottom line is: it's takes some getting used to and time in country before you can understand it properly, and train your ear. I love Billy Connelly and laugh hysterically when I see his comedy specials, my husband insists he's not speaking English. Cannot understand more than 1 or 2 words per sentence.

Enjoy!

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote