View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Detroit and Love, I'm right there with you. Very good points made by you both.

Humans hate the idea that they may not be at the top of the food chain, and anything that threatens us, whether in self-defense or not, is destroyed almost as an afterthought.

For example, if a guy goes out to hunt bears, but the bear gets the drop on him, it immedietely becomes a target because it's "dangerous," and a group of men go out there to kill it to protect other "innocent" hunters from being harmed by that vicious creature. No one stops to think that the bear community might be holding little bear-meetings and saying, "dooood...there's this dangerous hominid running around killing people. We need to send out a hunting party and get rid of him so he won't kill anyone else."

Yup, we don't like the idea that we may not be number one.

One day we're going to exterminate something really, reeeeeeally important, and the whole ecosystem is going to go to shit. Then we're screwed. It's all interconnected, whether we know HOW it's interconnected or not. Just because something seems insignificant in the scheme of things, to US, doesn't mean it is.

Check out a book called Dust. It's fiction, but it's written by an authority on ecology, and tells what could happen should one little "insignificant" critter die out. It's an interesting read, and at the end, he gives a lot of scientific information about what's in the book, and how easily it could become a reality.

Yeah, I know everyone thinks I'm a tree-huggin' hippie, but I prefer to think of myself as merely practical.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 05-25-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote