View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #118
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
The title of the discussion they were attending was "Remedies to Judicial Tyranny". This is the current goal of the current Republican leadership - to remove the Judicial branch of government as a check to the others. You can only keep pretending that this is just some fringe group for so long.
Quote:
'First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist, so I said nothing. Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social Democrat, so I did nothing. Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist. And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did little. Then when they came for me, there was no one left to stand up for me.'
Pastor Martin Niemöller
You know, I wonder what it was like to be one of the groups on the 'list' in 1930's Germany, watching the government crack down on some other group, and then watch them pass the first laws restricting your movements or other freedoms. A lot of people, at least the majority who still believe the Holocaust actually happened, probably believe that the death camps went up overnight and caught everyone by surprise.

A lot of people thought the Nazi's were a 'bunch of crackpots' or 'a passing fad'. Some even allied themselves with the group in the hopes of gaining some benefit or saving themselves from harm.

By the time the hammer came down, the victims were so legally and politically marginalized that there was no legal solution, since the law itself had been corrupted.

Quote:
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. - George Santayana
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote