View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #114
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Living In Interesting Times, Vol. 495:

<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38308-2005Apr8.html">And The Verdict On Justice Kennedy Is: Guilty</a> (washingtonpost.com)

I am clasping my head like a stunned monkey over ultraconservatives <i>quoting Joseph Stalin approvingly</i>, even at one of their own gatherings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Ominously, (lawyer-author Edwin) Vieira continued by saying his "bottom line" for dealing with the Supreme Court comes from Joseph Stalin. "He had a slogan, and it worked very well for him, whenever he ran into difficulty: 'no man, no problem,' " Vieira said.

<b>The full Stalin quote, for those who don't recognize it, is "Death solves all problems: no man, no problem."</b> Presumably, Vieira had in mind something less extreme than Stalin did and was not actually advocating violence. But then, these are scary times for the judiciary. An anti-judge furor may help confirm President Bush's judicial nominees, but it also has the potential to turn ugly.

A judge in Atlanta and the husband and mother of a judge in Chicago were murdered in recent weeks. After federal courts spurned a request from Congress to revisit the Terri Schiavo case, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) said that "the time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behavior." Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) mused about how a perception that judges are making political decisions could lead people to "engage in violence."
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote