View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #89
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsp
--snip--Now, is this likely to pass or even reach the floor for full consideration? No. It'd be a very open admission of "We want theocracy" by the hard right, and thus would have its share of Republican defectors. It's been submitted once before, and went nowhere. Many lawmakers have a habit of submitting bills that are more symbolic than serious. I'm not losing too much sleep over the possibility.

But when the House Majority Leader has come right out and declared war on the judicial branch, he's under severe scrutiny and may be on the way out, and there's a bill in the House and Senate _already_ that would clamp down severely upon the "activist judiciary" who are "tyrannizing" the country (a country whose former president he attempted to impeach, citing "He holds the wrong Biblical worldview" as one of the justifications)... well... I itch.

Just a bit.
Nice post and analysis vsp. But I would look into getting my dosage of anti-itch medication reduced, because this kind of story is not the warning of an attack, it is the attack.

You and I both have seen the most unrealistic proposals gain traction and reality from sheer repetition. By saying it over and over and over again, it becomes familiar, and from familiar to reasonable. Look at our police officers--how they're always having to arrest criminals. I mean they wouldn't arrest them if they weren't guilty, right? But what happened to the presumtion of innocence? Oversaturation by the idea that we arrest guilty people leads to belief. Repetition doesn't create truth, but it can create belief.

Which is why this story is dangerous.

Ironically, the way to combat this insidious attack on the foundation of our nation's guiding priciples is MORE discussion. This kind of story can not live in the light of day. Even loud long exclamations like the chicken little lies we've heard this week from both the President and the Congress about "saving" Terri Schaivo did not mislead the majority of the population. When the ridiculous anti-constitutional idea of having Congress write a Federal law to "save" one person (that's how it was spun), was revealed to the people, they saw how wrong it was and rejected the Fed's attempt to extend it's control into our lives.

This power grab you write about is much more frightening, but still has the same vulnerabilities. When people see and hear this wrongness, they will reject this one too.