View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their* Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--
You missed with your emphasis there, thought I'd tighten in up for you a little bit.

Quote:
I pledge allegience to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands: One Nation Under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Published in 1891, the original states, 'I pledge allegiance to my Flag and (to) the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.'

'To' was added in 1892.

Quote:
This country was founded on a belief in a creator god and is is ALL of our major documents and mottos.
Which in no way takes away from the idea that others should be able to worship, or not, as their beliefs dictate. The governmental imprimatur, as alluded to in your above statement is what is used as a hammer on people of alternative, or no, religion.

*to possibly include Vishnu, Odin, Marduk, etc., etc....