View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #39
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
I apologize for the gender discrepency..and I disagree flattery has gotten me somewhere. I'm not sure where. However, thats another one of those grey areas. When a soilder is drafted or volunteers. He swears to do whatever to protect the interest of the U.S...... So if one volunteers; lets say for the sake of argument and there is no war going on at that time, if a war begins and he follows orders just as a person drafted is he less innocent than the draftee?
Put like that, I'd say so. Like I said before, the job of a country's military is basically to kill other people in the name of that country's defense or offense. If you volunteer for that job, you volunteer to take on that responsibility. You're telling them "Yes, I will shoot that other man dead if you tell me I have to." So even without having picked up a gun, you've lost a little something there.

Side note, Don't mistake what I consider a loss of innocence as a measure of how good or how bad a person is. That's a whole other can o' beans.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote