View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #19
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Also, the only thing I've been able to find in Genesis on Cain reproducing has a pretty abrupt jump:

"Cain went to the land of Nod, East of Eden. And Cain knew his wife."

No mention of other people created by God, no mention of the incestuous relationship that must have developed if these people weren't created by God and, therefore in the mind of biblical literalists, didn't exist. Incest being a sin/abomination against God/a bad idea, where did the rest of us come from? Where does it mention that Enoch's mom is actually Cain's sister? Or were there other people on earth and Yahweh is just the creator-god of the Jews?

Whereas if you take the book as an allegory, a collection of really cool stories that give you a pretty good example of how to live, then it all makes perfect sense.

That being said, there is no more intimidating a phrase, when introducing yourself, than "I am sent by the one who is called 'I Am'." Pure biblical bad-ass, in that Samuel L Jackson Pulp Fiction/Boondock Saints prayer sense.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by alphageek31337; 11-10-2004 at 12:40 PM.
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote