Thread: The Grudge
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 12:54 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I find that more often than not the bucket of blood movies are more hilarious than they are scary. They have to go so over the top in their attempts to create horror rather than suspense that they miss. I did find the first Elm Street movie to be terrifying, but that was a really well crafted horror piece, particularly in the use of dream imagery ... there was something uncomfortable for everyone there ... whether it was hallways longer than you remembered, getting sucked into the bed, sinking into the staircase as you tried to climb it ... I was greatly unsettled by that scene where the heroine is getting away from Freddy, but his arms lengthen to reach out to capture her, just as you think she's safe. I get chills typing it. The sequels were totally different movies!

Silence of the Lambs is a great horror movie for me, as are some of the old classics that rely on spooky atmospheric settings and strong plot lines. Real live monsters are spookier than the ghostly kind, often.

Random killing movies have their place, but who can't help but laugh when the TV explodes sheepguts in the end of Videodrome?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote