View Single Post
Old 03-20-2002, 12:39 PM   #17
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Another article... boy, no doubt where this writer stands.. her supreme court reporting is not usually this fired-up.

And I have to agree with her. I don't see any compelling interest in drug testing of the general student population. And, I'm sorry, if this passes muster, there is nothing to stop them from just testing the entire student body. There has to be some expectation that privacy rights will be balanced against institutional and societal needs. I just don't see that the problem is bad enough (in either numbers or degree) that this is justified.

OK now, screw that, forget all those namby-pamby civil libertarian arguments I just made. Show me the money!!! According to the link I posted above, the Tecumseh School District (which is involved in this Supreme Court Case) nabbed 3 drug users out of 505 drug tests conducted. That's 0.59%. Well at this point, I have to ask, how much does it cost to do a drug test? And who pays this cost? If I'm a taxpayer in this school district, I want to know what return we're getting that justifies this investment. Sounds like a waste of time and money to me. The whole business is ridiculous, and I don't doubt the Supremes will approve of it.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote