View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
Back where I'm from, we call it "smoking weed".
Actually, there are a lot of completely legal herbs that will also induce an out-of-body experience, or similar dream-state. Personally, I have had success inducing dream states with leaves from damiana (turnera aphrodisiaca), both as an aqueous infusion and smoked, with lion's tail (leonotus leonurus) smoked, and with morning glory (ipomoea violacea) seeds run through a coffee grinder, soaked in distilled water, and the seeds and water consumed. All 3 are more of a sedated, "stoned" feeling, with lion's tail and damiana being a lot like pot, and morning glory being more of a mind-stone than a body-stone (no feelings of heaviness, just mental quietness, rather like psilocybin mushrooms but without significant hallucinations). I've also tried dried mexican sage (salvia divinorum), reputed to be amongst the strongest of legal highs, but with no effect. This was very disappointing to me, as I was expecting a visionary experience and ended up with nothing. Two of the last legal highs left on my list are the fly agaric mushroom (amanita muscaria) and, believe it or not, tobacco (nioctiana tabacum), which, when uncured, is apparently much, much stronger and will induce visionary states. I like to use these different drugs (Yes, these are drugs, and they need to be approached with caution) as meditative aids, because a lot of life's major problems are, in my experience, issues of perception, and there's nothing like being totally out of your head to give you a different vantage point on what troubles you.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote