View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004, 04:55 PM   #37
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
OK, I'm calling you on that one, Lookout. First of all it is a non sequiter to reply to a statement that the quality of public education is going down in this country by saying that the person making this judgement has "fallen prey to the cult of victimhood."

I am a realist, Lookout. Fate has forced me to open my eyes and see things that I never noticed back in my snug little middle class world while you are still singing yourself to sleep at night with the fairy tales the power brokers want us all to believe. I am a victim only in the sense that anyone who recieves an unlucky blow from fate is a victim. But I will be god damned if I allow my voice to be silenced by some foolish comment by a member of the complacent middle class I once belonged to. I'll see you in hell first before I ever roll over with my paws up and whine that I'm a helpless victim. Nice try.
OK Mari, let's take a deep breath on this one. i went back and reread my post. i didn't type anything that i believe is condescending but if you believe that was my intention - i apologize. i didn't insult you - i merely responded to your points. and if you reread - i agree with you that the public education system sucks.
and if you want to convince yourself that i live in some sheltered little world immune to the dark scary world you live in i don't know what else to tell you. you have no clue on my life experiences so you may want to be careful on that, it hasn't been all roses and butterfly kisses, but it has been interesting so i wouldn't trade it for the world.
I made no attempt to silence your voice - i welcome any viewpoint in a discussion. disagreeing with you does not equate to silencing you.
as far as seeing me in hell? thanks but i'll pass, i don't think we believe in the same hell anyway.
anyway - the difference between a realists and the victimized is that a realist sees the pitfalls and injustices of the world but marches on anyway, realizing that though the world affects them, the results may be outside of their control, their actions are entirely within their control.
a victim sees the same injustices and wanders through life pointing out how things are unfair and if only_________ then they would be doing better, but ________stood in their way and there is really nothing they can do about it because the unfair system is what it is.