Thread: Abortion Debate
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 08:38 AM   #79
jaguar
whig

Quote:
I assume that you are using the term 'sacred' as a synonym for valuable. Are you saying that human life is not sacred (valuable)? If so, then I disagree.

I also find your statement to be a non sequitur. That's like saying, "If you're so worried about the spotted owls, why don't you sell your furniture and help the condors?"

I have no doubt that there are needy children in Africa and elsewhere. That doesn't mean that people can't be concerned about events closer to home, as well.
Whether it is valuable or not is a whole other debate, whether it's percieved to be valuable is more the point. Society as a whole lets people die and depending where you live, kills them with amazing regularity. Heck, 20000 dead on the news is barely going to make the headlines a few days running. Why on earth should women lose legal control of their own bodies to protect the 'sanctity of human life' when clearly we have such little respect for life in general. I think insurance companies put the value of a 30y.o male at around 10k or so.

Ani Difranco put it best, anti-abortion campaigners are like fish that don't know they're wet.