View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #28
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
DON'T think you have to spend a lot of money to get started. my favorite body is still a Nikon 6006 - pretty old, but sufficient for my needs (i don't do sports or action shots). a couple of lenses should be enough and at this point you don't have to buy name branc. Ritz camera's Quantaray lense is a Sigma. decent glass for the price, just not the fastest in the world. they all do that.
Alan got me a nice Minolta Maxxum 5 and a 28-70mm lens for my birthday last year. I had the option to get a nice digital camera but I really wanted to have an SLR to play around with. It sucks not knowing if my shots have turned out good but I really like the SLR so it works out better for me in the end. After taking photos with it and such I realized I needed a longer lens. I love to take photos of old barns and wildlife and the 28-70 lens just wasn't letting me get close enough. For Christmas I asked for a 70-200mm lens. Its a Quantaray and is a great lens. While there have been a few times I wished I had a even bigger lens it does the job real well 90% of the time.

Quote:
DO subscribe to Outdoor Photographer and read it. be inspired by it. Galen died, but they still have great folks there. you can also get great deals on film etc, by ordering from some of the advertisers.
I actually have had a subscription to this mag. for almost a year now. I love it! They have great tip on how to take certain photos and always feature some place that is great to go to take photos. I see their photo workshop things in the magazine each month and think how much fun it would be to go on one of those.

Quote:
Do take many shots of the same thing at different settings. if possible, right down your settings for each frame, that way you can learn what each one is really doing for you.
Thats something I need to start doing. I fool around with different settings and such when taking photos but then I forget to write down what setting I used for what photo. By the time I get the prints back I cant remember what setting I had the camera on for the better shot. I just need to go buy one of those little note pads and keep it in the Camera bag.