View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 12:55 PM   #26
lookout123
changed his status to single

that is awesome wolf - the K1000 is a real workhorse. mine finally gave up the ghost last year. it is still fixable, but i don't shoot enough any more to justify it.

wolf has some great advice in there that i was going to add, but she beat me to it.

DON'T take classes at this point - they will only teach you textbook crap and will focus entirely on the technical side to the detriment of the art/aesthetic (sp) side.

DON'T think you have to spend a lot of money to get started. my favorite body is still a Nikon 6006 - pretty old, but sufficient for my needs (i don't do sports or action shots). a couple of lenses should be enough and at this point you don't have to buy name branc. Ritz camera's Quantaray lense is a Sigma. decent glass for the price, just not the fastest in the world. they all do that.

DO frequent several of the nicer camera shops in your area. it is really generic, but for a chains, Ritz, Kitz, and Wolf generally do a good job of hiring photo nuts. you can get great advice from them and if yuo hang around for awhile they will treat you right on the cost of supplies. plus they develop their film on site and can color correct, etc.

DO subscribe to Outdoor Photographer and read it. be inspired by it. Galen died, but they still have great folks there. you can also get great deals on film etc, by ordering from some of the advertisers.

Do pick specific films you like to work with and stick with them. personally i shoot Fuji Velvia (slide), or regular old Kodak 100 B&W. part of this is making sure the film you shoot works well with the paper and chemicals your photoshop works with. that really does matter. if you are just burning through color film, trying to figure out what works and doesn't i would suggest AGFA, nice price, good quality.

Do take many shots of the same thing at different settings. if possible, right down your settings for each frame, that way you can learn what each one is really doing for you.

Do learn a couple of basic filters.

DO have a lot of fun and don't get discouraged.

DO post your shots here occasionally.

and yes, i know there are better photographers than myself who reside in the cellar who may suggest other things, but what i have suggested does work well for a beginner.