View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 AM   #225
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
There is MUCH more to that tape that the few seconds that were shown over and over and over again on the news.
Cuz that's all the public on the whole is interested in. Also it makes for a great story "Black Man Beaten Near Senseless By White Cops". If I remember, there wasn't a whole lot of WHY in the coverage of the story. Just lots of WHO, WHAT, WHEN and WHERE. The standard news broadcast fills a 30 minute slot, half of which is taken by weather, sports, special interest (local pet adoptions, kid wins spelling bee, just LOOK at that sunset, Diane! Indeed it's lovely out there this evening...). In the 10 or so minutes left, after commercials take a chunk of time out, they need to squeeze in what the network feels is noteworthy news for the day and cover local, national and international as needed. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time to go in depth. And even many of the special shows stations have that are supposed to go in depth, they only give more who, what, where and when detail and maybe more, carefully-selected footage, not much why.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote