View Single Post
Old 03-11-2002, 10:29 AM   #13
Gabriel
Sibling of the Commonweal

There, there dhamsaic! That wasn't my point.
I really don't care about your internal politics. You don't care about Romania's either.

The idea was that Romania's economic and social welfare is visibly linked with the decision of the US.

Romania is trying to join the EU and NATO and integrate in other western-world organisations. Traditionally, the republican party in power meant bad news for us.

I personally, find myself disgusted by such ideas as "faith-bases initiative" and the new nuclear weapons protocol.

Also, unwillingly, the US has become a "trend-setter" for much of the rest of the world, especially for the 3rd world (Romania might fit here).

So, as a Romanian intelectual (I'm NOT a nationalist, but for now, I do live here), I am very resentful of the way people here imitate and try to suck up to western leaders, especially the US.

And if they must suck up, at least they should do it to someone that deserves it. I don't consider the American Republican Party or the president to be such a good model.

Think Kyoto (it will hurt the economy, but we are the no.1 economy in the world), faith-bases initiatives (say bye-bye to state-church separation), NMD (national missile defence ... this may be good, as US/NATO might want to place missiles in Romania), antagonizing everybody (EU, China, Russia, arabs, *) AND etatism (steel protectionism, ironically, from the champion of free trade, the US).
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote