View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 01:14 PM   #13
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Sometimes rabbits can be great pets, I have two fantastic ones. Both come to the front of the cage to say Hi and when let out to run around both check in every few min to get their head scratched. I did have two "bastard" rabbits before them, that hated people, scratched me all the time and just wanted to be left alone. So it can be a crap shoot if you get a good one. I think the breed has a huge amount to do with it. When I got these two I researched the breed a lot and then chose. One was a rescue given to me by a co-worker but he happened to be a breed I was interested in. And then a few years later I got the other one as my mom had one of that breed and he was awesome. So sometimes they do work out.

After working in a pet store for so many years I recommend a Guinea pig as a pet for a child. They don't stink like a rat or a mouse, they aren't temperamental like hamsters can be (esp. those Siberian Hamsters the stores sell, man those things are mean), and if you get them as a pet to teach your child responsibility, the guinea pig will let you know if your kid isn't feeding it. They are small so its easy for a kid to pick them up and hold them, and they are a fairly lazy animal, which means they are perfectly happy to sit on the couch with you and do nothing.

Here is a photo of my hairless guinea pig, Blaze. They look kinda ugly but they are really cool pets.
Attached Images