Thread: New Used Djembe
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

That's an Ashiko...Djembe have a sort of chalice shape, Ashiko are a conical taper.

Reheading can be a real pain in the ass. Find someone who knows how, or do some research online first. Also, the tensioning cord is tied wrong to begin with. When done correctly, the pattern of the cord should be a series of diamonds (tightening a skin drum head like that is usually referred to as "pulling some diamonds"). The black thing around the head is a fabric-wrapped metal ring, which is half of the means of allowing the tensioning cords to grab the head and stretch it tight. There should be a companion ring around which the head is wrapped. When you pull diamonds and pull the rings down, the head stretches and the pitch of the drum goes up.

Drying damp skin drum heads over a fire is a surefire (pun intended) way to screw it up, especially if it was on a drum like bodhran that has the head tacked in (as many inexpensive designs do). I've seen them literally shred from the expansion and contraction over the course of an evening around the big Pagan fest fires.

I'll check out some reheading/restoration links for you if you want, LJ. You got a good deal on the drum, and restoring it right will make it much more playable and enjoyable for you. I also have a good friend who makes really spiffy drums, and can probably get you in contact with him for instructions.

Patrick -
(speaking as the owner of a set of congas, one frame drum, one 11" Remo Djembe with bulletproof, artificial, can-actually-be-played-in-the-rain Mofo head, a handmade wooden Ashiko, two drum machines and more incidental percussion instruments than you can shake a drumstick at).

Last edited by Elspode; 07-08-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote