View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 03:58 PM   #108
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe
http://biz.yahoo.com/law/040610/5bca...a1ddc8c_1.html

Judge offers choice of jail or vasectomies to deadbeat dads.
"Family court judges in Ohio and Wisconsin have imposed similar restrictions on deadbeat dads. The pre-eminent case, Wisconsin v. Oakley, No. 99-3328, went to the Wisconsin Supreme Court, which declined to hear the case of a five-year conception restriction imposed on a defendant who fathered nine children and owed $25,000 in unpaid child support"

"A March 31 decision by Monroe County, N.Y., family court Judge Marilyn O'Connor ordered an allegedly drug-addicted homeless couple to stop having children. The case, In the matter of BobbiJean P., No. NN 03626-03, was a first in New York. The couple's four children were placed in foster care last year and the woman is pregnant again. The judge determined that they should be given free family planning to prevent future pregnancy. The 35-year-old mother is identified in court papers only as Stephanie. Rodney Evers, 54, is the father of three of the four children, including a 6-year-old boy. The younger children, ages 4, 2 and 1, tested positive for cocaine at birth."

*shrugs* I don't see what the problem is (to anyone who has a problem with it). Those examples are perfect cases for this, IMO. No one is being forced to do this. It's a perfectly viable option to choose. Why bring another life into the world that you can't properly care for and afford? It's madness that ppl in the most negative situations are the ones having all these kids.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote