View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #317
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

As DanaC points out in her posts above, there is often a mixture of flexible interpretation of the rules and just plain ignoring them in public spaces.

On the other hand, I went to the local pharmacy to collect Dad's prescription this morning and the maximum number of people permitted inside was five at any one time.
However, an informal system of 'one out, one in' had emerged and a queue of people two paces apart was in operation outside.

While that worked well, my recent visits to the nearby supermarket didn't find any evidence of an outbreak of common sense or initiative.
I queued at the check out leaving the required space from the person in front, but the people behind me were breathing down one another's necks and ultimately mine.
Sometimes I despair.

Yesterday I had an Email from my mate in Oz.
His wife's sister had been staying with them for four weeks and had been due to return to the UK in a few days time..
She was concerned at how fast things were changing in terms of the suspension of international flights etc so re-booked her flight to arrive home yesterday.
Qantas charged her an additional £800 ($920) for the privilege.

Also my neighbour flew to Oz ten days ago to visit her son and his family with the intention of returning in mid April.
I understand that she is more or less stranded out there until the end of May, the resumption of flights permitting, but who knows?
At least she won't have to worry about huge hotel bills but it isn't an ideal situation.
She did tell me before she went that it would be her last big holiday so I hope that she enjoys it.