View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 09:59 PM   #603
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
snip--
(What's worse is, post-modernism then suggests that everyone's truth is true, because everything is relative, and then we wind up in a hole that deeper than we dug.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Trump is the victim (this time) of "post-modernism"?
--snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I cannot fathom how you might have gotten this conclusion out of my post.
I am not familiar with "post-modernism", but it's clear that by your description, it's kind of bullshit. And Kellyanne Conway deserves credit in my mind for flinging it into our public discourse when she talked about "alternative facts". Her talk then was bullshit. The idea of "alternative facts" is bullshit. A fact is just one thing, if it's more than one thing, it's not a fact.

pausing for casuistry

Ok, we good?

UT, you're an apologist for President Trump, free country, takes all types, agree to disagree, etc etc. I hold no animus toward you. I consider you a friend. But when you float the idea that truth and facts and words are more malleable and less concrete than back in the pre-modernist day, you give the reader, and maybe yourself, some kind of cover, a fig leaf to cover President Trump's shame. The shame is there, even if you cover your ears and eyes with the fig leaf. Lord knows the aren't enough fig leaves in the world to cover his absurdity.