View Single Post
Old 01-22-2001, 08:27 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
I think you're right. Not too bright. But he does have a remarkable skill; it's like he's a guy who's done nothing but work at one thing for years and years, and he's really good at that one thing, but ask him a question and he sounds like an idiot.

He seems to be following the path of his mentor, Dr. Dre. Dre was never into the hard gangster stuff until AFTER he started rapping with NWA. Mr. Mathers seems to be following this same path with his run-ins with the law (and the Insane Clown Posse).

Quote:
But for me he's been a doorway into other rap. I'm an old guy, not likely to get into it (all the kids these days, they dress funny and their music is just noise). I read a positive review of Eminem when I heard his first single, and then I read the NEXT review which was of The Roots' Things Fall Apart. I bought that, and listened openly, and... it was phenomenal. Genius.
We're very fortunate to have the Roots call Philly home. They made it cool for rap bands to make their own music, rather than stealing it from George Clinton, James Brown, or Prince.

Their first album was great too...with a hilarious video called "What They Do." Lampooned the whole gangsta rap thing 3-4 years back.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote