View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #12186
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I managed to resolve a really tricky claim this week. Well, 3 claims with overlapping damages.

PH has been a pain in the butt throughout. Mistakes made on our side as well which meant she was even more of a pain - by the time the claim was referred up to me by the rapid handler, she was at breaking point.

Our adjustor scoped works in total for the claims at £6.5k
Policyholder has quotes - lowest of which (and her preferred choice of contractor) was a little over £12k.

She absolutely does not want us to use our network contractors (which would leave he with nothing to pay except the excess, regardless of how much the job turns out to be once work begins)

She absolutely cannot afford to make up the difference between our limit of liability and her contractor.

It's taken me 6 weeks to get this resolved - getting the contractor to requote without drying costs (we have a drying company who would deal with it separately or provide separate costs not included in the adjustor scope)

Getting chased by the customer and then chasing her contractor on her behalf.

Going line by line to remove little bits that aren't really damaged by the peril, or get him to justify why that should be included

Getting chased by the policyholder, chasing him on her behalf

Rinse and repeat

When the scope was finally agreed we were left with a £4.1k shortfall on what we could offer.

Policyholder now phoning daily and crying.

Back to the contractor.

I negotiated him down £3.5k to do the work. Got my tech expert to authorise an offer for half the remaining shortfall - then added in drying costs that had already been costed by our drying company, which in truth were probably now an overestimate given the length of time elapsed since the leak

Policyholder ended up with an offer that covered the full cost of her works, with a couple hundred left over to rent a dehumidifier for the last bit of drying, and another couple of hundred left over to offset against her £700 excess.

Policyholder has been left with only £500 out of pocket expense and I just saved the company about £1.5k once the additional costs that tend to occur when a claim goes through the network are taken into account.

Her most recent email to me had a smiley face in it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote