View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 11:11 PM   #29
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

My ctrl-v:

Quote:
Data privacy issues
Edit
In 2016, computer security researchers from Fidelis Cybersecurity and Exatel discovered the browser surreptitiously sending sensitive browsing and system data, such as ad blocker status, websites visited, searches conducted, and applications installed with their version numbers, to remote servers located in Beijing, China. According to Maxthon, the data is sent as part of the firm's 'User Experience Improvement Program' and it is "voluntary and totally anonymous." However, researchers found the data still being collected and sent to remote servers even after users explicitly opt out of the program. The researchers further found the data being sent over an unencrypted connection (HTTP), leaving users vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks. Fidelis' Chief Security Officer, Justin Harvey, noted the data "contains almost everything you would want in conducting a reconnaissance operation to know exactly where to attack. Knowing the exact operating system and installed applications, and browsing habits it would be trivial to send a perfectly crafted spear phish to the victim or perhaps set up a watering hole attack on one of their most frequented websites."[35][36][37][38][39] According to Maxthon CEO Jeff Chen, this was due to a bug that was fixed as soon as Maxthon was made aware of the issue.[40] Chen also stated that "security and privacy are top priorities at Maxthon".[41]
Yeah Wikipedia, sue me.

I wonder if there's some long con happening here. So. Many. Flash. Sites. Just use flash, they said. Click the link to the game, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

I don't really find any the bait interesting, much less wholesome. I do like chocolate milk, that is true.

Why lure me to st0rmƒront?

Not for me to answer.

I'm suspicious tho.