View Single Post
Old 04-12-2001, 07:52 AM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

My wife was a fine arts major in college (obviously she's now a programmer/analyst) and loves to tell about one poser chick in the art school at Syracuse. The girl would stomp around campus in heavy leather boots and a "Meat is Murder" patch on her jeans. She was definitely not trying to be ironic. That, to me, defines the animal rights movement.

I'm no fan of industrial style farming, mainly because my roots are in family farming and I recognize what is lost when the manager/worker isn't the owner. If you ever get a chance to work on a production line... don't, unless you really need the paycheck. Animals should be well taken care of and they will be if your goal is producing healthy food.

This thread reminds me of a couple good red neck bumper stickers People Eating Tasty Animals and EARTH FIRST! we'll ruin the rest later.

(the following not for weak stomachs)

Alphageek,In my indestructable youth, I shared an apartment, in Scranton, with five other guys and there was a constant round of "You don't have the cojones to...". Well, at one point, we had a lot of raw venison in the fridge and some of it was marinating in speidie sauce (local food cooked on a skewer like a kabob but just meat, lamb being the best, vinegar, oil, and Italian spices) So I ate a cube of the marinated venison. It was absolutely delicious! After that, we ate a lot of raw speidie meat, like a pack of wolves. Nobody got sick, but that was pretty stupid. Oh, did I mention there was alcohol involved, a lot of alcohol... Surviving that period is my personal proof for the existence of a benign greater power. I've only been on an antibiotic twice in my life and I agree with your assessment that the immune system has to be tested to function. I was raised on raw cows milk which is full of microbial life which many folks think inevitably leads to illness. I've done barnyard butchering, never wearing gloves and shoveled a lot of crap. Both of these activities could potentially impact an uninitiated immune system.