Thread: Walkin' man
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #336
glatt

The map showed a stream crossing about halfway up the mountain, but we had passed a sign that announced there was no water, and the stream turned out to be dry. We had started with 2 liters of drinking water each, but it was a hot day and the climb was strenuous. I was worried we would run out of water and have to turn around before reaching the top. We agreed to turn around when we reached half a liter of water each. And then I spotted this mud puddle where water was seeping out of the hillside very slowly. A little below the mud puddle was an extremely slow trickle of water down a steep hillside. It took about an hour, but we filled everyone’s water bottles and treated the water inside with a few extra Aqua Mira drops. This deer poop filled mud puddle saved the day, literally.
Name:  P1160685.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  184.6 KB
We are almost at the summit of Prairie Reef. I was proud of the boys for making it. This day was actually one of the more difficult hikes I have done in my life. The heat and lack of water and steep terrain, and scores of downed trees to climb over or crawl under really made it a challenge. It was only about 10 miles but we had 3,500’ of elevation gain.
Name:  P1160737.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  140.1 KB
That’s me pointing out to the other dad where we had been the day before. He’s a good guy but had a bad sense of direction.
Name:  P1160908.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  122.4 KB
And it was very windy up on the summit, but on the porch of this closed lookout station I was out of the breeze and still had an amazing view.
Name:  P1160932.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  102.9 KB

Last edited by glatt; 07-17-2018 at 10:25 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote