The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Useful useless information (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8980)

Cyclefrance 08-22-2005 02:04 AM

Useful useless information

Mixing in a teaspoon of tomato ketchup with your dog's food neutralises the acid in its urine and prevents those nasty brown patches on the lawn - thought you'd like to know...

itzBoo 08-22-2005 03:04 AM

wow

I didn't know that, but hey thanks for sharing that tip :D

Queen of the Ryche 08-22-2005 09:42 AM

But if it's too late and you already have the brown patches, pour a can of Coke on them - instant fertilizer.

Bullitt 08-22-2005 09:45 AM

I heard coke will dissolve an ungalvanized nail overnight.. never tried it

wolf 08-22-2005 09:56 AM

It doesn't.

Snopes has a full section on "Cokelore".

And I think Mythbusters did an episode too.

LabRat 08-22-2005 11:57 AM

The mythbusters guys rock.

To keep the waterspots to a minimum when washing your car/truck/rascal:
Once done soaping it all up, remove the spraying implement on the end of your hose and just let the water run full blast out of it from the roof down, Do Not Spray It. I thought my husband was nutso when he told me that this is what the guys on the car lots do to keep the spots off the new cars, but it really does work. He asked them how they kept their cars 'spotless'.

Who knew?

Wastes a hell of a lot of water tho.

itzBoo 08-22-2005 09:21 PM

I also heard that Salt can dissolve or "melt" slugs.

Trilby 08-22-2005 09:40 PM

I heard (somewhere) that if you left out plates of stale beer the slugs and snails and other nasties would dive in and drown. Weird.

glatt 08-23-2005 10:54 AM

I know from first hand experience that salt will kill slugs. It draws the moisture out of them and they die.

I also know from first hand experience that slugs are drawn to beer. One particuarly boring evening, some friends and I lured some slugs to a paper cup of beer and watched one climb in and drown. Slow entertainment. We then did an alternative experiement, and placed a cup of beer inside a ring of salt. A slug was drawn toward the beer, but recoiled when it encountered the salt in its path. My social life was rather empty back then, but at lest I had friends to hang out with.

Kagen4o4 08-23-2005 07:35 PM

when a friend asks you to ignite some wood in a 200L (50 gallon i think) metal drum and mentions "theres a little bit of petrol (gasoline) on it" and hands you a lighter. what he means to say is "i poured a $hlt load of petrol (gasoline) on the wood so say goodbye to the hairs on your hands and wrist, and possibley your eyelashs too."

LabRat 08-24-2005 10:29 AM

:eek: Ooohh, that belongs in the fire thread, with a little more detail

Cyclefrance 08-24-2005 11:36 AM

That's prompted a thought stream in a similar (but less depilatory) vein:

The guy who surveyed a house we were going to buy a while back emphasied in his report 'the step outside the back entrance is very narrow and we would advise early attention here as it otherwise is too easy to slip from it and twist an ankle quite badly...' remember seeing him limping a bit...!

Cyclefrance 08-27-2005 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat
The mythbusters guys rock.

To keep the waterspots to a minimum when washing your car/truck/rascal:
Once done soaping it all up, remove the spraying implement on the end of your hose and just let the water run full blast out of it from the roof down, Do Not Spray It.

Hey - it works!!

LabRat 08-29-2005 10:35 AM

This is the internet, would I lie to you!? :cool:

Cyclefrance 08-29-2005 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat
This is the internet, would I lie to you!? :cool:

Nothing personal, We Brits are just such a naturally sceptical bunch...