The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   6/10/2005: Pigball (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8530)

Undertoad 06-10-2005 10:10 AM

6/10/2005: Pigball

http://cellar.org/2005/pigball.jpg

The ball is covered in mashed carrots and then they let the piglets loose on it -- it's Russia's first "pig ball" championship in Moscow. The event is a part of an agricultural exhibition on Moscow's outskirts, played like soccer with two teams of five piglets.

They're pretty smart but do they know they have goals to reach? Seems like anarchy to me.

wolf 06-10-2005 10:13 AM

Seems like entertainment in Moscow has not advanced beyond what was available in the Communist era. Goals? Think of it as being like goals in one of the much vaunted 5-year or 7-Year Plans. You know, the ones that lead to the starvation of millions? That kind of plan.

Packey 06-10-2005 11:03 AM

Based on those stains in the backgournd, the pig must frequent this court on a regular basis. It's also important that the pigs have thier individual numbers, that way they can receive their individual stats for the game. :)

chrisinhouston 06-10-2005 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
Seems like anarchy to me.

Looks a lot like my 5 year old grandson's soccer team this past spring. My wife and I call it Bee-Ball, they just swarm the ball like a bunch of bees and chase it from one end of the field to the other no matter whose goal they are attempting to get it to.
:p

wolf 06-10-2005 11:18 AM

I always referred to pee wee soccer as "Amoeba Ball".

lawman 06-10-2005 01:16 PM

Goal.... Gaol... the latter seems more Russian to me.

capnhowdy 06-10-2005 01:34 PM

I guess they "recarrotize" the ball at the end of each quarter.
I'll take the yellow team and two.............

lookout123 06-10-2005 02:07 PM

Quote:

They're pretty smart but do they know they have goals to reach? Seems like anarchy to me.
seems like politics to me.

Elspode 06-10-2005 02:09 PM

Why is it that all I can think of when I look at this is, "Lhres schwein spheren, mein herr!" (foof!)?

lookout123 06-10-2005 02:11 PM

why is it that i can't read one thread in the cellar without being reminded how insignificant and ignorant i am?

els - could you translate that for me?

Elspode 06-10-2005 04:07 PM

Not to worry, it is yet another goofy pop culture reference...this time, from the Zucker film "Top Secret!" The hero of the film (Val Kilmer, actually) orders something in a swanky German restaurant without understanding what the waiter has told him. When it comes, the waiter somberly announces, in German (or some approximation thereof suitable for comic effect) "Your hog balls sir!", and sets them aflame for presentation effect.

Queen of the Ryche 06-10-2005 04:17 PM

What's the acronym for "Spit (Insert Beverage) On My Keyboard(and/or)Monitor" ?

lookout123 06-10-2005 04:54 PM

els - for the first time someone has made a reference to that movie that makes me want to see it. thank you. a couple more of those and i may forgive you for what you just did to the sex thread.

xoxoxoBruce 06-10-2005 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packey
Based on those stains in the backgournd, the pig must frequent this court on a regular basis. :)

Yeah, but they're making less mess than most kids with mashed carrots. :biggrin:

wolf 06-11-2005 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123
els - for the first time someone has made a reference to that movie that makes me want to see it. thank you. a couple more of those and i may forgive you for what you just did to the sex thread.

Not surprisingly, Top Secret! is the Airplane! of spy movies.

There are no dull moments, and darn few where you aren't reduced to drooling from the amount of laughing you are doing.

And hey, Omar Sharif is in it. How cool is that?