The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   RIP John Paul II (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8054)

smoothmoniker 04-02-2005 03:17 PM

RIP John Paul II

He was a man of courage, and exemplified the triumph of the human spirit over adverse circumstances.

-ml

Undertoad 04-02-2005 03:21 PM

He was a very good pope. I especially liked how he went and visited the guy who shot him, and forgave the guy.

Trilby 04-02-2005 03:28 PM

I will miss him.

Radar 04-02-2005 04:41 PM

Woo Hoo, thank you Mr. Pope. I got 16 points thanks to you. I'll miss watching you mumble incoherently in your funny hat.

melidasaur 04-02-2005 05:43 PM

He was a good pope. I hope the next pope can continue some of the good things that he did.

Brown Thrasher 04-02-2005 07:28 PM

I am not a man of religion. But the Pope appeared to appeal to young people. They are the future of this world. Bless him for he appeared to be a man of peace!!!!!

Beestie 04-02-2005 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar
Woo Hoo, thank you Mr. Pope. I got 16 points thanks to you. I'll miss watching you mumble incoherently in your funny hat.

Sometimes, when you try to make someone look small, it backfires. Think of it as a midget boomerang.

xoxoxoBruce 04-02-2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
He was a very good pope. I especially liked how he went and visited the guy who shot him, and forgave the guy.

That's what they wanted us to think but we don't know what was whispered in the gunman's ear during the clinch. :lol:
They are already working on Pope George-Ringo aren't they? I'm curious what color, nationality and continent they will settle on. I'm assuming he'll be catholic.

wolf 04-02-2005 11:44 PM

I'm actually more interested in what name he'll pick ... I mean being JPIII would be the easy choice, but a hard act to follow. He might branch out on his own, or go classic ... John XXIV, or Pius XIII ... and we haven't had a Leo in an awfully long while ...

Perry Winkle 04-03-2005 05:54 AM

My favorite pope names are Innocent, Urban and Hyginus.

Here is a kind of pope baby namer for those that are interested.

Griff 04-03-2005 08:26 AM

He was a compelling figure who lived a powerful and faithful life. The Church and I will miss his guidance. A number of folks who don't generally make Mass showed up yesterday to pay their respects. I think that says a lot about the peoples view of the man.

superbaton 04-03-2005 08:28 AM

like it or not, religious or agnostic, to everyone... just respect.
i found a beatiful picture of JPII, i think it resumes every goodbye words you could write.

OnyxCougar 04-03-2005 11:24 AM

The young man from Poland with a strong faith in God becomes leader of Catholic Church and intermediary for 1 billion people.

Rock on, Lolek.

Carnivean 04-03-2005 04:24 PM

One of my favorite world leaders. I think he did a lot of good things. If there's a Heaven, I hope he lands there.

In the meantime, I am curious to see who will be next.

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2005 05:07 PM

Reagan said "Tear down this wall" but I think JP II had much to do with that actually happening. :)
John the 23rd used to walk down to the vatican workshops, drink wine and shoot the shit with the working people while sitting on a barrel or workbench.
Paul 6th seemed rather regal and aloof.
Pius 12th was political prick. He and Pius 11th took the power of the church away from the bottom where it flowed to the top and moved it to the top where it's dispensed downward at the Popes discretion.