The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "There are a fair number of USAns -- and others -- who are wondering whether ... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7127)

limey 10-31-2004 03:54 PM

"There are a fair number of USAns -- and others -- who are wondering whether ...

... who are wondering whether the world will survive this coming Tuesday... or the results thereof. "

I found this quote on another website I frequent which does not have a politics category. I don't often stick my head above the parapet in political discussions with Americans (for "don't often" read "never", actually), but here goes ...

If I allowed myself to think about it I'd be terrified to think that my future is dependant on Tuesday's vote, and it surely is .... see me as the typical inhabitant of "overseas" or "abroad". How does that make you guys feel?

Why is Florida so darned important?

Trilby 10-31-2004 04:07 PM

It makes me feel very, very worried and nervous. Florida is important in that it is a "swing" state--could go either way (as in Bush or Kerry) Ohio and Pennsylvania are swing states, too. Bush and Kerry have been to Ohio so often it's gotten commonplace for us. No Republican has ever won the White House without winning Ohio.

cyber snoop 10-31-2004 05:28 PM

Seems like yet another "end of the world" routine. God, I envy those who somehow always find a way to capitalize on human nature! :dead: :D

xoxoxoBruce 10-31-2004 05:49 PM

I'll check in here to see what happened, I'll be at work after the election...everyday. I've got some shopping to do........and get the car inspected........shine my shoes........life goes on. :p

marichiko 10-31-2004 08:18 PM

Yeah, I imagine we'll all muddle along, regardless of who wins. The thought of another 4 years of Bush is not a pleasant one, however. :dead:

warch 10-31-2004 08:22 PM

what was that line from the end of Grapes of Wrath? about the people going on...

ah! googlemagic!

Ma Joad : Rich folk come up an' they die, an' their kids ain't no good an' they die out. But we keep acoming, Pa, cus' we're the people that live.

Cyber Wolf 11-01-2004 06:56 AM

Come on, come on...let's be positive about all this.

If Bush wins, we get four more years of picking at him, four more years of Bushisms, four more years of those flyaway ears of his, four more years of pictures where he's looking like deer caught in a headlight.

If Kerry wins, we get a fresh guy to poke at and we can define and refine our gags about him. Just think: a fresh set of presidental jokes!

Troubleshooter 11-01-2004 08:29 AM

I think that this election is more important to the world at large than it is to us. We're not the ones he's bombing.

Yet...

Edit: fixed something before the grammer fairy smacked me with his wand again.

cyber snoop 11-01-2004 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
I think that this election is more important to the world at large than it is to us.

Well, who can blame "us" for trying to look after ourselves first, and worry about the rest of the world later? :)

Trilby 11-01-2004 09:45 AM

Maybe it's the weather over here but I am so depressed about this whole thing--how nasty this election is, how people in Europe, for chrissakes, are practically pounding us over the head over it....I just want to curl up into a ball and suck my thumb.
:bawling: I mean it.

Troubleshooter 11-01-2004 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyber snoop
Well, who can blame "us" for trying to look after ourselves first, and worry about the rest of the world later? :)

Huh?

limey 11-01-2004 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Maybe it's the weather over here but I am so depressed about this whole thing--how nasty this election is, how people in Europe, for chrissakes, are practically pounding us over the head over it....I just want to curl up into a ball and suck my thumb.
:bawling: I mean it.

I didn't mean to upset anyone :grouphug:. I certainly am not pounding anyone over the head - just was wondering how it seems to you folks :unsure:. I am, after an :alien: to most of you guys .... !

Trilby 11-01-2004 03:16 PM

I'm just stressing, limey. I've gone back to work after a traumatic experience, I'm freaking out over this election and I'm in debt up to my eyes due to being off work--I'll be glad when it's all over. They're telling us to get ready to stand in line for quite a while tomorrow--the poles are going to be crowded and have challengers asking about our identification and address. It'll probably take weeks to find out who won the election. I do feel like crying, though. This sucks.

jinx 11-01-2004 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
They're telling us to get ready to stand in line for quite a while tomorrow--the poles are going to be crowded and have challengers asking about our identification and address.

:confused:
Can you tell me more about this? Who are these challengers and what rights do they have? I'm not in the habit of being particularly friendly or forthcoming to strangers who approach me, but I don't want to screw myself out of the chance to vote by telling the wrong person to piss off.

Bullitt 11-01-2004 03:34 PM

Thank the Lord for absentee ballots. I voted last week from the comfort of my futon! :D