The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A day trip to the shore.... ? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6311)

SteveDallas 07-13-2004 08:25 AM

A day trip to the shore.... ?

OK, this will probably cement my reputation as a complete & total wet blanket. But I don't like the beach... never have.. all that sand.

Besides that I grew up over in the mountains, and so I don't have experience of there being a beach within relatively easy driving distance.

However the kidlets are eager to go. So, give me some hints about a day trip to the Jersey Shore. Where are good places to go? Any shortcuts? How long whould I allow to get there? etc. etc.

glatt 07-13-2004 08:56 AM

I don't know the Jersey Shore too well. The only place I've been is Long Beach Island. I though it was a dump, but then I like to go to wilderness areas on the ocean.

Why do you/they want to go to the beach? For the nature/sun/surf/sand? Or for the human stuff like carnivals/ t-shirt stands/ cotton candy/ ice cream/ or at Atlantic City, the gambling?

jinx 07-13-2004 09:08 AM

OC NJ is very family oriented. It's dry, has a boardwalk with kiddie rides etc. One year we went overnight and that worked well. Arrived in time for check-in, hit the beach then boardwalk for a while. Woke up, checked out, hit the beach again, and then came back to the hotel (which had outdoor shower facilities and a locker room) to clean up before getting in the jeep to come home.

SteveDallas 07-13-2004 09:23 AM

Thanks, jinx, I'll check it out.

Glatt, knowing my kids, they'll find something completely inane that they could get just as easily here, like a McDonald's play gym or something like that, and glom onto it. But me personally, if we're going, I want to actually hang out at the beach, otherwise what's the point?

wolf 07-13-2004 01:09 PM

I second the suggestion for Ocean City ... plenty of nice beach (they've reclaimed a lot of it since I was a kid, hardly recognized it when I was there a couple years ago), good boardwalk, and Gillians Wonderland.

I don't know if you can still see bits of the Sindia. I'm gonna guess no, although you could up through the mid 80s.

wolf 07-13-2004 01:11 PM

Oh, and make sure that you take a side trip to Margate to see Lucy.

megatron 07-13-2004 02:09 PM

Long Beach Island is great as well as Point Pleasant. Lots to do in both places. takin the kiddies to LBI for a week in august

Slartibartfast 07-13-2004 02:30 PM

Point Pleasant has my vote, it has a boardwalk if that's your thing.

jinx 07-13-2004 02:41 PM

I remember beach tags being an issue in OC now that I think about it. Not sure how many other places that applies. I think it was a $25 deposit to get them thru the hotel, but day trippers just have to fork out the money themselves. Not sure how much is costs but it's something you might want to check into before going.

jaguar 07-13-2004 03:52 PM

what the hell is a beach tag? Aren't beaches public property in the US or did they get sold off too?

Happy Monkey 07-13-2004 03:55 PM

Some are public, some are private, and some public property has an entry or parking fee.

Kitsune 07-13-2004 08:21 PM

I'd be curious to see what the beaches up there are like. Pictures should be posted once you're back, SteveDallas!

http://fox.org/~vince/out/shore.jpg

elSicomoro 07-13-2004 08:35 PM

Steve, you're a Wildwood guy...definitely.

Seriously...Belmar. Beach tags are easy to get and cheap, from what I recall. There's not really any touristy things, but they have a great beach, and there's a playground for the kids.

If you're looking for something more kid-oriented, you might want to go with AC, OC or Sea Isle.

Boy, Kitsune, you are just a funny man today. First, you bag on our ribs (I'd say they're grilled far more than they're boiled or parboiled)...now, you're taking shots at our beaches. Yep...you've got an ass-whipping coming to you. :) I've taken some photos of Cape May, AC and Belmar over the past few years...now if I would just get them developed...

Kitsune 07-13-2004 08:59 PM

now, you're taking shots at our beaches. Yep...you've got an ass-whipping coming to you.

Actually, I'm really curious to see what the beaches up there are like -- I only know them from pictures of Coney Island and I know that isn't valid. Closet I've been is to the beaches in VA and I remember that they were really wide and walking to the water was more of a run. Hot feet!

The image? Just a bizarre reference. :)

elSicomoro 07-13-2004 09:51 PM

As a whole, most of the beaches I've visited in this part of the country are rather nice. The only one I've been to that is just flat out horrible is Asbury Park, NJ.*

*--Let me qualify myself here...I did not hang out on the beach there, just in the town. And let me tell you, it sucks big time.