The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hello all! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=3459)

Joth 05-29-2003 05:56 PM

Hello all!

Just a quick note to say hello to you all!
Looks like a bustling community here, glad to be a part of it.
Just one small question....are you all american on here? Am I the only brit here? If so, feel free to ask me about the ways of this little isle.

That Guy 05-29-2003 06:02 PM

No questions/curiosities at the moment. Is it okay if I just make fun of you instead? :D

Welcome!

Joth 05-29-2003 06:05 PM

Please, feel free.
My main forum ATM is currently dominated by people from the UK, who mostly make fun of the couple of lone Americans.
It'll make a refreshing change!

Odd_Bloke 05-29-2003 06:22 PM

I too am British (Joth just invited me :D). YOu can tell this because:
1) I have used the word Odd in a descriptive sense and Brits enjoy making fun of themselves (ourselves even)
2) Bloke has been used, which indicates I'm either Aussie or Brit

perth 05-29-2003 07:05 PM

silly question for the brits...

my wife and i will be travelling in britain in june and im curious about something. im assured by my travel agent that travelodges in britain are much nicer than the travelodges here in the states. we are planning on staying in a travelodge in nuneaton for a couple nights, and im wondering how the travelodge is perceived over there. i wouldnt stay in a u.s. one myself, but im trusting my agents judgement.

~james

Undertoad 05-29-2003 07:20 PM

We already have a few Brits hanging around but more are always welcome.

I have several questions.

- Will the UK adopt the Euro? (UT opinion: please don't)

- Do you believe Blair's gun policy will have an effect on crime?

- Where would you personally go to get top-quality croissants?

Odd_Bloke 05-29-2003 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
- Will the UK adopt the Euro? (UT opinion: please don't)
Not really sure, but I hope we don't. The pound sterling is something that makes up part of our history and tradition as a nation, and I would hate to see that lost. (It's kinda like asking you lot to stop randomly starting wars (J/K BTW))

Quote:

- Do you believe Blair's gun policy will have an effect on crime?
Blair's gun policy? :confused: Haven't heard a thing about it.

Quote:

- Where would you personally go to get top-quality croissants?
France probably.

And Travelodges are perfectly acceptable AFAIK, though I have never stayed in one myself. Personally, I would recommend the YHA (Youth Hostelling Association) youth hostels, as they generally offer excellent value for money.

juju 05-29-2003 08:03 PM

What do you think of the American accent? Have we butchered your language enough already, or should we have another go at it?

juju 05-29-2003 08:07 PM

Also, why don't the English like iced tea? Do you have something against ice in your drinks?

xoxoxoBruce 05-29-2003 08:13 PM

Quote:

Welcome. Bring your own tea.
:p

Odd_Bloke 05-29-2003 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by juju
What do you think of the American accent? Have we butchered your language enough already, or should we have another go at it?
I, personally, have no problem with the accents (some of them are quite cool :p) it's just the spelling (colour!!) and pronunciation (just because we pronounce potato like that, doesn't mean tomato is pronounced that way too!!).

Quote:

Also, why don't the English like iced tea? Do you have something against ice in your drinks?
I dunno. I think iced tea is alright, I just prefer real tea. ;) Guess it's just different tastes. Not to mention we generally have colder weather than most parts of the US of A (AFAIK).

Thanks, xoxoxoBruce.

Whit 05-29-2003 09:59 PM

Quote:

From Odd_Bloke:
(It's kinda like asking you lot to stop randomly starting wars (J/K BTW)
     Well, as long as you Brits know your proper place, attacking who we tell you to, we're good. ;)
     Actually, the sudden British influx is the the third such in as many months. First the Spanish, then the Chinese, and now the these guys. Kinda cool, I can understand what the hell this bunch is saying.

Joth 05-30-2003 05:22 AM

Damn....so many questions missed-this is what you get if you go to bed before 2 am.
OB seems to have fielded most, but I'd just like to add a couple of things.
I personally would like to see the UK adopt the Euro. It would stabilise the European economy, and provide a realistic alternative to the USA dollar in world finances. It would also, hopefully, increase internation co-operation. There is hardly much claim for keeping the Sterling for tradition's sake, when we've only had it for about 25 years.

Undertoad 05-30-2003 08:56 AM

Always more questions.

- Where are you guys located in Britain?

- Ever take the chunnel to the continent? Or a ferry?

- I see where Wolves won promotion to the Premiership instead of my sentimental favorite Sheffield United. When teams win promotion, do they generally stay up, or are they expected to fall right back down the next year? Is the Premiership less exciting because only a handful of teams are expected to win it?

Odd_Bloke 05-30-2003 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
- Where are you guys located in Britain?
We're both located in or around Peterborough (due east of Birmingham for about 1 hour and a half in the car.)

Quote:

- Ever take the chunnel to the continent? Or a ferry?
I have, yeah.

Quote:

- I see where Wolves won promotion to the Premiership instead of my sentimental favorite Sheffield United. When teams win promotion, do they generally stay up, or are they expected to fall right back down the next year? Is the Premiership less exciting because only a handful of teams are expected to win it?
I'm not really into football (bores me stiff) but AFAIK, they are expected to be in the relegation zone.