The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CPAP machines (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34112)

Clodfobble 02-23-2019 10:11 AM

CPAP machines

I just started using one. It's okay. Definitely sleeping better and waking up rested instead of feeling like I want to die, so that's good. Recent memory and brain fog issues are slowly receding, too.

On the downside, I'm suddenly massively overeating, which is one of those things that studies have shown happens, but the data is confounded and often dismissed because 1.) CPAP users tend to be overweight to begin with, and 2.) the industry is dead set on telling people that better sleep will cause them to lose weight, even though the opposite seems true. The best study I've found demonstrates that sleep affects some specific appetite hormones BUT your hormones have presumably been compensating for years of shitty sleep, so it takes several months to adjust.

Also, it's not silent like they claimed it was. But it's pretty quiet, and also that's Mr. Clod's problem, not mine. Long story short, I'll be sticking with it, because I was reaching brain-damaging levels of poor oxygenation all night without it. But it ain't perfect.

Gravdigr 02-23-2019 10:49 AM

I don't think I could ever use one of those. I simply cannot sleep on my back, and I can't see any other way to sleep with it.

Clodfobble 02-23-2019 10:55 AM

The kind I have is just a little thing that goes under my nose like a mustache, not a full mask. It's possible to sleep on your side, though back is better. After a little over a week my neck and lower back are getting used to it, although I'm still considering putting a pillow under my knees.

glatt 02-23-2019 11:00 AM

My brother absolutely loves his cpap.

sexobon 02-23-2019 11:16 AM

Don't be bashful. Take some selfies showing us your pulse oximetry.

Gravdigr 02-23-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1026490)
The kind I have is just a little thing that goes under my nose like a mustache, not a full mask.

Interesting. I thought they all looked like a cross between Darth Vader and Cthulhu.

Thanks for the info.

xoxoxoBruce 02-23-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1026490)
....I'm still considering putting a pillow under my knees.

May I offer my shoulders. :blush:

Clodfobble 02-23-2019 05:38 PM

Don't underestimate yourself, I'm quite sure that would keep any reasonable woman awake. :)

fargon 02-23-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1026489)
I don't think I could ever use one of those. I simply cannot sleep on my back, and I can't see any other way to sleep with it.

I've had one since March 17, 1999. It changed my life, I became more active and that compensated for the increased appetite. I sleep on my side and have never had a problem. I have a ResMed C-PAP with a humidifier. Just remember to use only distilled water, and wipe out the tank periodically, change the filter weekly, and that's about it.

slang 02-24-2019 05:35 AM

My wife started using a ResMed C-PAP with a humidifier about 6 months ago.

The pressure needed modification and it took some adjustment but
it's working well now. Not perfectly but working well.

The use of this machine has dramatically improved the sleep quality of
everyone in this house. The snoring was...irritating to say the least.

Before the C-PAP when we would overnight at a relative's house, the kids would cry knowing that the snore monster was going to keep them up.

Some of the kids would also imitate the snore with some exaggeration.

It was a lifelong embarrassment for my wife.

The unit is small enough to carry anywhere we go now.

It has been a very big improvement for us.

But it takes a bit of adjustment in the beginning.

Hope you find it as helpful as we have.

slang 02-24-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1026502)
May I offer my shoulders. :blush:

:haha: