The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Outgoing IT Staff: Security Concerns (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26843)

anonymous 02-08-2012 09:56 PM

Outgoing IT Staff: Security Concerns

Let's say you're "letting go" a member of an IT department that has had free reign, total access to your network for several years.

If the situation is "not on good terms" what due dilligence can you take to protect your business interests from possible disruption?

footfootfoot 02-08-2012 10:07 PM

Whatever you do, no fingerprints and make it look like a robbery or suicide.

Undertoad 02-08-2012 10:14 PM

Value integrity when hiring.

Oh you say nobody hires IT people on that basis? You say they only hire on the basis of which technology keywords people have on their resume?

huh.

zippyt 02-08-2012 10:15 PM

got to walmart , see if you can find some microwave pork rinds,
last thing as yer leaving ( or makeing your escape ) pitch them in the break room Microwave and set it for 30 minets ,
they will have Haz mat teams cleaning up for days !!!!

footfootfoot 02-08-2012 10:19 PM

That beats a top-decker by an order of magnitude.

BigV 02-08-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 793947)
Value integrity when hiring.

Oh you say nobody hires IT people on that basis? You say they only hire on the basis of which technology keywords people have on their resume?

huh.

for some folks, it's all about the benjamins

ZenGum 02-08-2012 11:31 PM

Zip, I think the situation is the other way around.

I suspect this is UT's old boss who has finally figured out that the reason the data keeps getting small random changes and sending naughty emails to the boss is to do with a few trojans and backdoors UT left in the system before he was dumped.

The obvious solution is to give UT a "consultancy" to "refresh" the system. I think $100,000 would be industry standard.

:D

Clodfobble 02-09-2012 07:44 AM

Mr. Clod has had to deal with this situation before. I'll ask him when he wakes up.

glatt 02-09-2012 07:50 AM

I'm not in IT, so I have no idea, but I'd guess that there's very little you can do to be sure everything remains secure.

This person could have taken a list of all accounts and passwords home. Even if you disable their account, they could access the network under a different one. Is remote access allowed now, or do you have to be on site to gain access to the system? If remote access is allowed, I don't see how you can guard against them using another account to get in. You just have to trust that their professionalism and fear of legal problems will keep them from doing anything to hurt you.

Clodfobble 02-09-2012 08:36 AM

Mr. Clod's response was, "Ooh... yeah. They're probably in trouble."

He noted that it really depends heavily on how your systems are set up, but this guy probably has at least a dozen extra logins to various servers, not out of malicious forethought but because they are a convenience when doing maintenance, etc. Worst-case scenario, you could go nuclear and delete every login on every machine, change the root passwords, and then rebuild all the logins from the ground up for legitimate users. But that's kind of a nightmare. He said the most important thing is to make his "post interview" (that thing where HR detains you in the office with paperwork, and asks you to give an honest appraisal of your manager, coworkers, etc., now that you have nothing to lose) last a really, really long time, and have everyone feverishly checking user lists and changing passwords while he's trapped in there.

ZenGum 02-09-2012 07:19 PM

FFF's method is clearly easier.

Pete Zicato 02-09-2012 08:35 PM

I'm not really up on security issues, but it would help to know what kind of systems/network we're talking about.

monster 02-09-2012 09:12 PM

You are probably fucked unless they have absolutely no idea they are about to be let go. In which case, the long exit interview and security guard accompaniment can buy time to check/reset the obvious. And even then, if they did bad things, they probably also have if-I-am-caught-revenge-things-set-up. If there is no severance pay, perhaps you could negotiate something?

Consult with their replacement. You do have a replacement, right?

footfootfoot 02-09-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 794150)
FFF's method is clearly easier.

Thank you, Doctor. I cut to the chase.

regular.joe 02-09-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 793945)
Whatever you do, no fingerprints and make it look like a robbery or suicide.

10 extra points if you can make it look like a robbery and a suicide.