The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Plantians (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22303)

jinx 03-18-2010 11:08 AM

Plantians

We love these things, but are still fairly new to them.
Started out last summer just slicing them in half lengthwise and putting them on the grill until the peel pulled away, then topping with honey.
A couple time recently I did the same thing, but on my kitchen griddle, cutting/peeling them various ways, adding honey and salt...
Saw them mashed on a cooking show, but they only said that they added butter and honey but didn't explain the cooking process at all.

So, do you like plantains?
How do you cook them?

glatt 03-18-2010 11:41 AM

I've only had them in restaurants, so I don't eat them often and have no idea how to cook them. But whenever I see them on the menu, I'll order them. They are delicious.

squirell nutkin 03-18-2010 12:20 PM

I've had them fried like french fries at a cuban place. Awe some.

Cloud 03-18-2010 12:20 PM

I once had dinner at the home of some Venezuelans. They sliced the plantains in rounds, and sauteed/fried them in a skillet (mashing them down slightly) until golden brown, and topped with garlic salt. Pretty yummy!

Pie 03-18-2010 12:50 PM

I like Puerto Rican mofongo relleno.

Shawnee123 03-18-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 641759)
I once had dinner at the home of some Venezuelans. They sliced the plantains in rounds, and sauteed/fried them in a skillet (mashing them down slightly) until golden brown, and topped with garlic salt. Pretty yummy!

I've read this twice as "I once had a dinner of some Venezuelans."

:eek:

Tulip 03-18-2010 10:55 PM

I've had them dipped in batter and fried. That's for dessert.

monster 03-19-2010 12:32 AM

In Jamiaca on our honeymoon, they were served as a side to meat stew. I think they had been lightly fried. They were also served fried at breakfast, as an addition to a Full English.

Griff 03-19-2010 06:05 AM

This sounds like the way it they were usually served when we went to Costa Rica. fried in butter with brown sugar, cloves, and cinnamon. There seemed to be a lot of variation in the recipes some were more savory others sweeter.

monster 03-19-2010 01:20 PM

Plantians. Like Martians but plant form? Triffids? :p:

spudcon 03-19-2010 03:35 PM

In the Philippines they bake them, and call them sagging(Pronounced sah-ging.)

Aliantha 03-20-2010 04:52 AM

Samoans cook them with coconut milk and onion. It's pretty nice.

jinx 03-20-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 641989)
In the Philippines they bake them, and call them sagging(Pronounced sah-ging.)

Bake them... just on a cookie sheet, or like a casserole or...?

I forgot to mention, a mixture of butter, brown sugar, and spices rum is a good sauce to pour over them after grilling. We made it for the grilled pineapples, but loved it peaches and plantains too.

Clodfobble 03-20-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
a mixture of butter, brown sugar, and spices rum is a good sauce to pour over them after grilling.

In college I learned to make a banana dessert like this that I now suspect was supposed to be made with plantains, but we always made it with bananas. We just spooned the butter/brown sugar/rum mixture on top of bananas cut in half lengthwise, and put them in the oven for a few minutes to warm... but then when you pulled them out, you had to serve them with dollops of sour cream. I know, it sounds crazy, but it was so freaking good.

skysidhe 03-20-2010 06:47 PM

I have not conquered the plantain yet but the way you all describe cooking them seems a snap and delicious.