The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Picking a lipstick color (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22170)

Pie 02-26-2010 02:45 PM

Picking a lipstick color

I wasn't allowed to wear makeup when I was in highschool. In college, I never had the time. As a young engineer, nobody wore makeup...

So I never learned. I wear chapstick on most days. Sometimes, I break out the Burt's Bees. But I never figured out how to pick a good lipstick color. Occasionally, I'll go out and buy something, but I invariably end up hating it. Too orange. Too purple. Too red. Too blah.

So to all the beauties out there, how do you go about picking a color that'll work with your coloration, style and clothing? I have medium-brown skin, slightly more towards the yellow than the red. Black hair (with a few greys!) I usually wear solids, not patterns, in deeper colors.

Then, how do you apply it? Keep it from becoming all pucker-y? How do you keep it from disappearing as soon as you have your first sip or bite of food? And what can you do to mask that gawdawful 'lipstick' smell?

I know, I'm pathetic. :neutral:

skysidhe 02-26-2010 02:59 PM

hello

Even though I am very pale I have a yellow undertone. I cannot wear anything but nude,light brown,bronze or coral colors and even gold.

Light browns can have muted rosy or coral tones too.

If you are like me anything else just comes off as too harsh.

I do not apply it too often so I don't have any clue about application. I think S.G. can wear her lips nicely. Maybe she can help.

I use cherry flavored chap stick lately.

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2010 03:13 PM

Don't the better department stores have sales clerks, on the makeup counter, that are trained to teach you that... while selling you the expensive shit? Once you have the base knowledge, you can find cheaper outlets.

Cloud 02-26-2010 03:25 PM

I second what Bruce said. Specifically, go to the Bobbi Brown counter. Bobbi Brown is all about finding a lipstick that matches your natural lip color, which enhances rather than choosing some funky orange or brown. Let the nice ladies spend 1/2 matching your color and teach you how to apply it. Buy a nice lipstick (about $22). Then, you can take that lipstick with you to the drugstore, and choose similar colors for much cheaper, if you wish.

skysidhe 02-26-2010 03:39 PM

:headshake

More often than not they are not trained. They are just a store clerk and will put on you what they THINK looks good.

If they don't have a cosmetology degree they can just hand over the goods so you can try them yourself.

I would not try or buy passion pink # 66 because they are told to push its sale.

If you go to a counter pie be assertive in trying the colors you want.

There are many shades of corals and browns that are not funky.

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2010 03:42 PM

She doesn't know what she wants, that's why she has to go to an upscale department store with a trained pro. Don't you have them out there?

skysidhe 02-26-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 637716)
She doesn't know what she wants, that's why she has to go to an upscale department store with a trained pro. Don't you have them out there?

Yes but trained? really? What upscale store do you have that has trained cosmetologists? Neiman Marcus?

Only in Washington and Cali over here.

jinx 02-26-2010 03:58 PM

Ya, what Bruce said, go to Nordstrom, look at the makeup chicks, pick the one that looks the best to you, and ask her to hook you up.
Or, if you want to spend money, go to a fancy day spa and have the same thing done.

Or skip it. I only wear make up to weddings. If you don't have to, why bother?

Pie 02-26-2010 04:16 PM

You're right, Jinx -- most of the time, I won't bother. It's exactly for those weddings and 'special' occasions that I'd like to have something picked out. Not gonna waste it on the cow orkers. ;)

Good suggestions, everyone. I think I'll give Nordie's a try. There's one in our local maul.

Cloud 02-26-2010 04:17 PM

I disagree Skysidhe. My local Bobbi Brown salespeople at Dillards seemed well trained in their line. I don't know if they were licensed cosmetologists, but they knew their line well enough to help me pick up a lipstick that matches my skin color.

To reiterate: Ask for help, and look for a lipstick that matches your natural lip color. Sometimes there are several close ones, and in several formulations (creamier, glossier, etc.). And remember, in the end, it's your decision. You don't have to be pressured into choosing something you don't like, regardless of what the salespeople tell you.

You don't have to choose Bobbi Brown. But I think if you choose a good department store, and look at the saleswomen (or men) there, and choose one that has expertly applied makeup and seems knowledgeable, and ask specifically for help for that one thing, i.e., "I need help choosing a lipstick that matches my natural lip color, and a tutorial on applying it" you will find what you need.

skysidhe 02-26-2010 04:18 PM

I went to Nordstrom when I was 18 for a makeover. Valentines day. I have blue eyes and at the time dark blond hair. I am sure I left with passion pink lipstick or some other garish color.

I am sure my boyfriend appreciated the person I was when I met him better.

I'm just saying use the counter people at your discretion.

I am sure Dillard's, Bloomingdale's, and others use licensed beauticians. I just happen to live in hickville.

bluecuracao 02-26-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 637700)
how do you go about picking a color that'll work with your coloration, style and clothing? I have medium-brown skin, slightly more towards the yellow than the red. Black hair (with a few greys!) I usually wear solids, not patterns, in deeper colors.

Then, how do you apply it? Keep it from becoming all pucker-y? How do you keep it from disappearing as soon as you have your first sip or bite of food? And what can you do to mask that gawdawful 'lipstick' smell?

I can answer all of your questions! They may not be all the right ones for you, but it'd be a place to start...

We have similar coloring, so medium to dark 'mauves' may work well for you. You might want to try a couple different intensities to see what looks the best with your skin tone.

I like to apply directly from the tube, but use my finger to spread it around...then blot once with a tissue to set it. L'oreal is a good brand that will stay on for a while, although it does smell pretty lipsticky. The blotting helps, as does a little Dr. Pepper lip gloss applied about mid-morning.

Cloud 02-26-2010 05:04 PM

http://beauty.about.com/od/plasticsu...t/lipcolor.htm

Tulip 02-26-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 637721)
Ya, what Bruce said, go to Nordstrom, look at the makeup chicks, pick the one that looks the best to you, and ask her to hook you up.
Or, if you want to spend money, go to a fancy day spa and have the same thing done.

Or skip it. I only wear make up to weddings. If you don't have to, why bother?

I agree with Jinx and basically with what everyone says. Ask advice on choosing a right color, try it and see if you like. All you need is a few colors to fit the few occassions that you would wear lipstick. I only use a few lipgloss colors for those few special occassions. I use strawberry flavored chapstick everyday and that suits me just fine. :D Oh yeah, at night I use carmex so it would soften my lips so I can exfoliate them in the morning.

monster 02-26-2010 09:09 PM

The secret to getting it to stay on is Lipcote. I've only ever seen it in the UK, though. paint it on over your lipstick, wait a minute or so for it to dry and you're good to go. For the entire day.

http://www.lipcote.com/