The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My lucky day (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21584)

dar512 12-07-2009 08:59 AM

My lucky day

1 Attachment(s)
HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) has noticed that I have made an overpayment.

What's J241.25 in US Dollars? :rolleyes:

lumberjim 12-07-2009 09:00 AM

J?

dar512 12-07-2009 09:08 AM

Sorry, forgot to attach screenshot. I don't know what J is either. Maybe it was supposed to be a pound symbol?

Spexxvet 12-07-2009 09:17 AM

Sounds like a fishing expedition to me. J is for Nigerian rupees.;)

limey 12-07-2009 10:44 AM

Sometimes the £ symbol comes out wrong ... it could be USD360 or so, or it could be an attempt to empty your account ... you decide!

dar512 12-07-2009 11:00 AM

Well, you know I've been kinda wondering about it -- me being a US citizen and all.

Although it would only be fair to pay me for the frantic time I had to change planes in Heathrow. What a mess.

limey 12-07-2009 11:08 AM

Ah .... Heathrow .... next time you're going anywhere this way change at Prestwick International or Glasgow and I'll meet you for a beer (if they allow you landside)!

Sundae 12-07-2009 02:18 PM

In common nomenclature (sometimes called "slang" or "street") a J is a marijuana-laced cigarette.

I would suggest that Customs and Excise have realised they have overcharged you for a consignment bound for the UK and are offering you a refund in the same currency.

If you have not exported any J's (sometimes known as "Doobies") it might be that Revenue and Customs are working with Customs and Excise and simply offering your refund in the most stable global currency available in this economic depression.

Reefer (sometimes called "Mary Jane") is exchangable for hard currency in most countries.

I suggest you respond to the letter as soon as possible to claim what is due to you. Obviously there are many spelling and grammatical differences between the UK and the US. You might even find you need a UK mailing address to claim your refund. I would be happy to act on your behlaf if necessary. Just PM me your bank account details and I'll make sure we're best buds and there's no waste.

dar512 12-07-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 615701)
In common nomenclature (sometimes called "slang" or "street") a J is a marijuana-laced cigarette.

I would suggest that Customs and Excise have realised they have overcharged you for a consignment bound for the UK and are offering you a refund in the same currency.

If you have not exported any J's (sometimes known as "Doobies") it might be that Revenue and Customs are working with Customs and Excise and simply offering your refund in the most stable global currency available in this economic depression.

Reefer (sometimes called "Mary Jane") is exchangable for hard currency in most countries.

I suggest you respond to the letter as soon as possible to claim what is due to you. Obviously there are many spelling and grammatical differences between the UK and the US. You might even find you need a UK mailing address to claim your refund. I would be happy to act on your behlaf if necessary. Just PM me your bank account details and I'll make sure we're best buds and there's no waste.

Haggis