The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   URL coloring (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=2133)

Tobiasly 09-19-2002 12:27 PM

URL coloring

I have my browser set to not underlink URL's because I find that annoying, especially when pages have many links.

So it's also annoying that the Cellar chooses to present links in the same color as the rest of the text. I think I'm not the only one who has missed links in others' posts because they don't stand out.

How's about coloring URL's a nice "Cellar blue" or something?

juju 09-19-2002 02:09 PM

Personally, I find it hard to follow the flow of thought in paragraph when a single word or phrase is a different color. It's like, my eyes keep gravitating towards the odd-colored phrase, and I can't concentrate on what's actually being said. That's just me, though. I think i'd find it astetically jarring. I wouldn't mind as long as an astetically pleasing color could be found, though.

perth 09-19-2002 02:20 PM

yeah, but depending on the colour chosen, it might not be so bad. i personally like both of those colours, and wouldnt mind one bit.

~james

Nic Name 09-19-2002 02:20 PM

Is it less jarring if the underlined link is of the same color?

I like perth's color's: both could be used considering the need for a complementary color on mouseover.

Tobiasly 09-19-2002 02:26 PM

I guess some folks like different colors and some like underlines. I like both perth's colors; when I suggested "Cellar blue" I meant the color used in the title banner text, which the first choice almost is.

I wouldn't argue with underlines either really; it's just that if you're gonna use style sheets to make the colors the same then you should make sure underlines are there too.

Undertoad 09-19-2002 03:03 PM

How about this color?

Interestingly, the link color follows right to the front page menu. So it should be a little darker than Cellar Blue.

Nic Name 09-19-2002 03:06 PM

Too light. Especially as it affects the thread titles, etc.

Color is more elegant than black, but needs a bit more contrast IMHO.

Undertoad 09-19-2002 03:09 PM

There, now the link color is darker and the grey backgrounds of the text are a little lighter.

Nic Name 09-19-2002 03:12 PM

Nice.

Similarly, dark color the tag line. ;)

Nic Name 09-19-2002 03:27 PM

On a related note, I wonder about the reasoning behind the contrasting color backgrounds in:

Thread Starter | Replies | Views | Last Post

The gridlines seem to clearly distinguish these fields without the additional emphasis of the alternating columns of coloured backgrounds.

I think it would look better without these pointless vertical color bands.

Tobiasly 09-19-2002 03:45 PM

Black, grey, darker grey on lighter grey...

It's still very easy to overlook a link. It is a shame that they carry through to the front page, though, because that really limits your options.

I think the vertical color bars are understated enough to not be distracting; too much stuff of the same color would look too boring.