The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   "In the South, there's just more folks who need killing." (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20848)

Spexxvet 08-14-2009 08:00 AM

"In the South, there's just more folks who need killing."

Interesting article on findings indicating that Southerners are more violent than northerners.
Quote:

The authors have also conducted an ingenious and intriguing series of social-psychological experiments to show that Southerners respond to threats and insults in different ways than Northerners do. This is some of the best evidence ever assembled on the violent proclivities of Southerners and a formidable challenge to the many scholars (oddly enough, most of them Yankees) who have pooh-poohed the "regional subculture of violence" thesis. In one series of experiments, subjects were affronted and insulted (for example, an associate of the experimenter would "accidentally" bump into the subject while walking down the hall and mutter "asshole"), then tested for cortisol and testosterone levels as well as assessed with paper-and-pencil tests. Sure enough, Southern males in these experiments showed significantly stronger physiological and attitudinal responses than Northern males. In another study, observers stationed in the hall (pretending to do homework but actually observing closely) noted whether the subjects' reactions to the insult were amusement or anger. Southern subjects were significantly less amused and marginally more angry than Northern subjects.
What assholes! ;)

Shawnee123 08-14-2009 08:12 AM

I'm a northerner, and if someone bumped into ME and muttered "asshole" I'd be all like "wtf dude? what is your problem?"

In the south, though, that might get me shot. ;)

disclaimer: where I work, I might get shot as well.

Moral of the story: do not intentionally bump into people and mutter "asshole."

classicman 08-14-2009 09:18 AM

Sounds like the Southern subjects demand more respect than their Northern counterparts.
Good for them.

morethanpretty 08-14-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

or example, an associate of the experimenter would "accidentally" bump into the subject while walking down the hall and mutter "asshole"
Maybe the southern had a stronger reaction because this is a very rude thing to do. If the person had said "I'm sorry" or "Excuse me" I bet the southern's reaction would be very different. We take good manners very seriously. Although, unfortunately, that seems to have become less extreme.
I realize this is only one example, but if the other experiments were the same, then its probably is the perceived lack of manners/rudeness that is causing the high number of "violent reactions" on the southern side.

Shawnee123 08-14-2009 09:26 AM

I agree, mtp, and I think you hit the nail on the head.

Spexxvet 08-14-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 587838)
Maybe the southern had a stronger reaction because this is a very rude thing to do. If the person had said "I'm sorry" or "Excuse me" I bet the southern's reaction would be very different. We take good manners very seriously. Although, unfortunately, that seems to have become less extreme.
I realize this is only one example, but if the other experiments were the same, then its probably is the perceived lack of manners/rudeness that is causing the high number of "violent reactions" on the southern side.

But isn't it rude, and having bad manners to respond violently?

Shawnee123 08-14-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

then tested for cortisol and testosterone levels as well as assessed with paper-and-pencil tests. Sure enough, Southern males in these experiments showed significantly stronger physiological and attitudinal responses than Northern males. In another study, observers stationed in the hall (pretending to do homework but actually observing closely) noted whether the subjects' reactions to the insult were amusement or anger. Southern subjects were significantly less amused and marginally more angry than Northern subjects.
The reactions were not violent, they were just justifiably more angry and "showed stronger physiological and attitudinal responses."

They didn't beat the shit out of the asshole who called them asshole.

classicman 08-14-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

In one series of experiments, subjects were affronted and insulted
(for example, an ASSHOLE would "accidentally" bump into the subject while walking down the hall and mutter "asshole")
Then the reaction was to treat the asshole like an asshole. Where is the confusion here?

Spexxvet 08-14-2009 10:19 AM

It's not reaction to conflict in a hallway:

Quote:

Culture of Honor makes a compelling case that there is something about Southernness itself that accounts for the link between region and violence. The case begins with a review and reanalysis of the extensive research on region and homicide. University of Michigan psychologist Richard E. Nisbett and University of Illinois psychologist Dov Cohen find many common explanations for the South's higher homicide rate wanting. The legacy of slavery is probably an inadequate explanation because the non-slave regions of the South show the highest homicide rates; temperature fails as an explanation because the cooler upland regions have higher homicide rates. Relative poverty rates cannot be ruled out as a causal factor, but the regional effect remains even when poverty is taken into account.

dar512 08-14-2009 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it makes as much sense as their reasoning.

Shawnee123 08-14-2009 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To test their theories for which they have found no causal relationship, they run around the hallways knocking people over and calling them assholes. SCIENCE! :lol:

morethanpretty 08-14-2009 06:31 PM

Maybe its because so many carry guns, makes it a lot easier to kill a person if you have a gun.
I wonder, Brittan has basically outlawed guns right? Is there reliable data to show murder/crime rates have risen significantly in the past years? Info on other countries with restrictive gun laws?
I've been researching health insurance all day, forgive me if I don't feel like looking up another damn thing. Someone rescue me from my laziness and give me the answers please.

Ibby 08-15-2009 12:59 AM

oh god you've done it now moar.

xoxoxoBruce 08-15-2009 01:06 AM

1- Southerners are more self reliant.
2- Some people just need killin'.

monster 08-15-2009 01:42 AM

Brittan is where?