The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reverse Time Capsule (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20354)

xoxoxoBruce 05-23-2009 12:55 PM

Reverse Time Capsule

If you could send a time capsule back 20 years, what artifacts would you choose?

Flint 05-23-2009 01:07 PM

Could a wireless network connection run through this tunnel?

Pie 05-23-2009 03:53 PM

A CD with a single track with a voice saying "Iraq does not have WMDs" repeating over and over.

Sundae 05-23-2009 04:08 PM

A letter addressed to the 17 year old me - living here funnily enough.
With pages and pages of advice.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should write one to myself now pretending to be from 20 years in the future. It might help.

Apart from that, it would be examples of today's packaging - so manufacturers can see how small it is now and give the world a 20 year headstart on reducing landfill. Oh and a warning about Gary Glitter.

Pico and ME 05-23-2009 04:12 PM

I would send a letter back telling me to stop taking it all so fucking seriously and for Gods sake stop working those 13 hour days and DELEGATE GODDAMMIT!

Juniper 05-23-2009 06:20 PM

A list of stuff I could bet on, like the sports almanac in Back the Future II.

No point in sending back advice - I wouldn't take it, anyway.

Meursault 05-23-2009 07:43 PM

well, if i could send it wherever i wanted, i'd send it to myself, packed with every dollar i could get my hands on (which would be a LOT because of all the perfect investments i made 20 years ago. plus, they'd be worth more back then), and instruction on what to buy into.
then my second time capsule would be filled with fake headlines from today about how i saved the world from poverty and almost-certain annihilation, but only with the dedicated help of the swedish bikini team. just so ppl would know what to do next, ya know...

lumberjim 05-23-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 568202)
A list of stuff I could bet on, like the sports almanac in Back the Future II.

No point in sending back advice - I wouldn't take it, anyway.

i think youve got it backwards....?

skysidhe 05-23-2009 10:46 PM

20 years? Not far enough But how about a clearer stary sky,black jack gum,black lights and those funky tapistries that glowed in the dark under them. Vinyl albums and a record players that actually sounds good.

I'd Have to go back further to get any more.

of course going back further we would end up laughing at somethings like the afro,the atari and the 8 track tape.Oh and those disco outfits with the abnormally large lapels.

lumberjim 05-23-2009 11:11 PM

i remember taking a walk one night, when I was like 19 or so.....late at night......and in this one extra dark spot on the road, I thought.....one day....many years from now...I'll walk this way again, and see these same trees, and stars....and I'll remember this moment. and i said...."hi Jim" out loud, there in the dark silence.

Hi, Jim.

bluecuracao 05-24-2009 12:12 AM

A message to myself saying, "go to NY and get a job with a big ad agency!"

DanaC 05-24-2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 568248)
i remember taking a walk one night, when I was like 19 or so.....late at night......and in this one extra dark spot on the road, I thought.....one day....many years from now...I'll walk this way again, and see these same trees, and stars....and I'll remember this moment. and i said...."hi Jim" out loud, there in the dark silence.

Hi, Jim.

*smiles* that's lovely.

Kaliayev 05-24-2009 09:27 AM

I'd send back Polonium 210, and lots of it. That'll teach them, to live in the past like that.

skysidhe 05-24-2009 09:35 AM

Everytime I read this thread I get confused.

Maybe I got it wrong.

I was going on the assumption an artifact was something recovered from an era past.

The Teapot 05-24-2009 01:42 PM

I'd send myself a list of events, which I would command myself to write into a prophacy. Knowing me, i'd not bother, lose the list and find it in a box a few years later, having by that point a sizable amount of correct information, thus convincing myself, and with the remaining events build up enough of a cult to have me able to talk garbage for long after the twenty years and someone else find a sence in which what I said had been true.