The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Haunted Houses/Trails/Etc... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18407)

Juniper 10-11-2008 11:51 PM

Haunted Houses/Trails/Etc...

I don't get them, really. Never have.

I just got back from our local haunted hayride/haunted trail thingy, with the kids. Hey, if it's fun for them, that's great. This particular one benefits the kids' wrestling program, in which my son participates, so I'm all for it. In fact I have to volunteer selling tickets one night. It's very popular and well done.

For the kids, say, between 8-16, I'm sure it's a blast and even kind of scary. But there are lots of adults in those lines too, even without accompanying children. I don't understand why it's fun for adults. I mean, are you really scared? Can you actually set aside your adult logic and experience anything more than a startle or two and mild disorientation?

Now, I like Halloween. Parts of it, anyway. I like candy, I like dressing up and seeing the cute kids in costumes. I like parties. :) I like the dark humor. But so much Halloween stuff is gross gory stuff and so over the top it's not even realistic enough to be scary, it's just silly.

I've never been into scary movies either. Give me Twilight Zone over Jason or Freddy or whatever....maybe that's why I can't get into the haunted house stuff.

What do you think of them? Been to any really good ones?

xoxoxoBruce 10-11-2008 11:55 PM

Those people in line have better drugs than you. ;)

ZenGum 10-12-2008 03:32 AM

What do you think they're in line for?

Ask the skeleton guy for "joints". The Zombie guy can help for pills, but for needle drugs, you need the vampire guy. Don't trust him, though.

Razzmatazz13 10-12-2008 08:14 AM

I love haunted houses and hayrides, and I'm 20, so I'm not sure if that's qualifying me for the "adults" mentioned in your post yet, but I probably won't ever stop loving them and going to them when it's possible. Halloween is my favorite month. (Yes, that's intentional) Even if it's a corny cheesy hayride and I don't even get startled one time, it's cool to see someone putting in the effort to entertain someone else. Especially since most of the time it's in your own community. They're like little skits that anyone can put on, and it's cool to see people make an effort like that. As for haunted houses, I get startled very easily so they are a bit of a scare for me, but again that's not why I go to them. I like the thrill, yes, but I also love to see what different props they're using. A horrible cheesy haunted house with foam mummies and glow-in-the-dark blood everywhere is funny, and if you do see a prop (or if you're lucky, a whole haunted house) that's realistic, it's cool to see how much effort went into making it that way.

When I was younger my family owned a costume shop, so halloween was (and still is) a big thing for us. That's when the magazines for ordering new costumes get super thick, and they usually included haunted house props. For really realistic ones, you can spend thousands of dollars, easily.

If I'm ever rich someday I'm going to make a haunted house, it's always been my "if someone gave you a million dollars" answer. I just think they're cool.

Trilby 10-12-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 492640)

Made my day, bruce. :)

ZenGum 10-12-2008 09:11 AM

Razz, maybe you should get a job in the morgue.
Or just kill a few hobos, and keep 'em as decorations.

Cicero 10-12-2008 09:37 AM

I was just actually thinking of going on a "ghost tour". Those are mainly for adults.

The old state penn. here is still standing. Just looking at it gives me the creeps. There are ghost tours of the inside. I find it both fascinating and creepy. Love it! I wanna go. I also watch ghost hunters, scary movies, and have even dabbled in some ghost hunting of my own. Yes......I love fear and jumping right into it with both feet. I doubt a hayride would cut it for me. I'm advanced creepy!!

:)

Sundae 10-12-2008 12:26 PM

I've been on a couple of Ghost Walks. I think they are what Cic is referring to though. They marry history with haunting.

I am so ridiculously easily spooked that a Haunted House is my idea of hell. I don't think I would come out with my sanity intact. I've even looked some up (in America, we just don't do it on the same scale here) and then wished I hadn't because the website has sparked off my imagination.

Seriously, I would be in tear and begging the actors to come out of character and show me the way out before I was through the first room.

So you could say I "don't get it" but in fact I do. It just scares me too much to enjoy it.

skysidhe 10-12-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 492640)

Your one-liners kill me.

xoxoxoBruce 10-13-2008 02:34 AM

So do drugs. ;)

ZenGum 10-13-2008 02:46 AM

The trick is to stop at one line.

Sundae 10-13-2008 05:39 AM

Are we still talking about drugs?

Shawnee123 10-13-2008 08:14 AM

I love being fake scared, the kind of scared where you know deep down it's not real (like movies) but you suspend that belief for the thrill.

I would love to go to a haunted old place like what cic speaks of. FUN!!!!

Bullitt 10-13-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 492947)
I love being fake scared, the kind of scared where you know deep down it's not real (like movies) but you suspend that belief for the thrill.

I would love to go to a haunted old place like what cic speaks of. FUN!!!!

http://www.forgottenoh.com/LimaTB/limatb.html
http://www.forgottenoh.com/Roseville/roseville.html
http://www.forgottenoh.com/Chippewa/chippewa.html

Get on out there and check some of this stuff out! The Ridges was always a fun place to go to when I was at OU. Numbered gravestones of civil war vet mental patients, etc.

Shawnee123 10-13-2008 09:48 AM

Cool.

The one in Lima mentions someone from Ada...where I went to college!

Once I get some time in my new job, and some money stashed, I'm going on a solo road trip to find places just like that! Thanks Bullitt!