The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   RCA rear proj TV help needed (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18131)

BrianR 09-16-2008 05:34 PM

RCA rear proj TV help needed

We have an RCA R52WH74 TV and the problem is that the picture seems too big for the screen.

The captions are off the bottom of the screen and the whole thing looks like it is oversized. The picture is otherwise sharp and sound is good. DVDs are the same and I see nothing in the User Guide or on-screen menus to fix this. The convergence (which looks like a common problem with the set) is OK.

Any ideas?

Brian

classicman 09-16-2008 09:47 PM

I have absolutely no ideas - sorry.

Clodfobble 09-16-2008 10:32 PM

If there's a setting for "Aspect" or "Aspect ratio," you might fiddle around with that. Widescreen TVs often have a couple of different length-to-width ratios you can choose from.

Elspode 09-16-2008 10:54 PM

Are you by chance feeding it from a cable box? If so, take a look at that menu and see what it is outputting.

Cloud 09-16-2008 11:13 PM

isn't there a button on your remote that says picture size or something similar? My tv changes from wide, to wider, to Panoramic to 4:3

FStop 09-17-2008 07:57 AM

Yeah, should be a button around somewhere to change the format of the screen. I've got a big Magnavox rear projection, and there's a button for mine.

On another topic, if you want to bring out the clarity of the picture, if the set is a few years old, polish the lenses and the reflector mirror. I about nearly tore mine apart, but the picture's a whole lot better. Convergence is shit at lower resolutions....but anyways, should be a button on the remote or a setting in the internal menu on the set itself.

BrianR 09-17-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 484707)
Are you by chance feeding it from a cable box? If so, take a look at that menu and see what it is outputting.

There's an idea! Yes, there is a cable box and I never thought to check the TV input signal. I'll go check that later and report back.

No, the rest of you, there is no internal menu that allows changing the picture size or aspect at all. Including the remote. I'm beginning to think that this TV wasn't as good a buy as I originally thought.

All I find are bad reviews from internet forums and Cons. Reports.

Next time I do more research, but in my defense, I wasn't home at the time...my wife bought it after checking with me. It sounded OK at the time!

BrianR 09-17-2008 02:16 PM

OK, it was the cable box. It appears that a dog trod on the remote and changed the zoom feature. I never even thought about the cable box and was fixating on the TV as the source of the problem.

Homer moment!

D'oh!

Brian

dar512 09-17-2008 03:04 PM

Gotta feel good to have it fixed, though.

Elspode 09-17-2008 06:26 PM

Your cable box zooms? That wasn't even what I was thinking about. Good on you for getting it fixed, though.

No menu? What, are all the controls buttons or something? Is there a pull rope to start it, too? :eek:

BrianR 09-17-2008 06:49 PM

It has different view options. They are called Zoom Views.

There is, of course, a menu for the TV but all I can do is adjust the picture and set convergence and a few audio options. Nothing says anything about view options like 1080i or 1080p or 16:9 vs 4:3.

BigV 09-23-2008 10:04 AM

One of the vcr/dvd combo units we have has a zoom/pan feature, three levels.