The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nobel Prize-winner Al Gore practices what he preached (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16947)

SteveBsjb 03-31-2008 08:48 AM

Nobel Prize-winner Al Gore practices what he preached

Nobel Prize-winner Al Gore practices what he preached in his film An Inconvenient Truth, driving home the need to reduce harmful carbon emissions in our homes, cars and businesses. The former vice president and his wife, Tipper, recently refurbished their 80-year-old home in Tennessee, making some simple adjustments to increase energy efficiency. Among other changes, they installed a geothermal heating system, solar panels and a rainwater collection system, and replaced their light bulbs with compact fluorescent and diode bulbs. The renovation helped them achieve an 11 percent drop in home energy consumption at a time (in the summer) when most neighboring homes increased energy consumption by 25-30 percent. Happy 60th birthday to environmental activist Al Gore.

xoxoxoBruce 03-31-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

making some simple adjustments to increase energy efficiency
A million of dollars worth of "simple adjustments', yielded...
Quote:

an 11 percent drop in home energy consumption

HungLikeJesus 03-31-2008 11:35 AM

I achieved a 50% drop in electricity consumption just by turning off my hot tub.

Cicero 03-31-2008 12:34 PM

That's why you are head of the "cellar think tank un-il-limited".
:)

lookout123 03-31-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 442851)
A million of dollars worth of "simple adjustments', yielded...

You're just jealous that you didn't come up with this scam. He convinced a bunch of geniuses to buy carbon credits from him and then used the money to remodel his already extravagant home so that even more people would buy his BS and buy more carbon credits. If only he'd been this smart in 2000, eh?

glatt 04-01-2008 10:50 AM

It's fun to attack the messenger when you don't like the message.

Flint 04-01-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 442999)
It's fun to attack the messenger when you don't like the message.

What the fuck are you talking about, shit-for-brains?

glatt 04-01-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 443000)
What the fuck are you talking about, shit-for-brains?

:rolleyes:

Al Gore's thing is to raise awareness about global warming. He wants people to reduce carbon emissions to reduce the threat of global warming. Reducing carbon emissions is painful and unpopular. Instead of talking about the message that Al Gore is delivering, and the best way to fight global warming, it's easier and more fun to mock Al Gore and talk about how he isn't a good role model for carbon reduction.

lookout123 04-01-2008 11:44 AM

Or I could just say that I think Al Gore is a has been politician who'll do or say anything to say in the news. Global warming or not, I don't put much stock in Gore.

Flint 04-01-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 443003)
Al Gore's thing is to raise awareness about global warming. He wants people to reduce carbon emissions to reduce the threat of global warming. Reducing carbon emissions is painful and unpopular. Instead of talking about the message that Al Gore is delivering, and the best way to fight global warming, it's easier and more fun to mock Al Gore and talk about how he isn't a good role model for carbon reduction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 443006)
Or I could just say that I think Al Gore is a has been politician who'll do or say anything to say in the news. Global warming or not, I don't put much stock in Gore.

That's not an "or" to what glatt posted; that's a "for instance" to what he posted.

Undertoad 04-01-2008 11:47 AM

I find the term "awareness" to be baseline offensive at this point. People think it means "education" when it really means "knowing just enough to act politically about it and no more". I find those whose goal is to "increase awareness" care about appearances and political correctness and not much else. The easiest way to annoy somebody who cares about "awareness" would be to give them contradictory facts. It's educational, and a matter of critical thinking to consider all sides. But they don't want to know about that.

I also find that Gore's previous hypocracy is not magically solved now that he has cleaned up his own house for the last year. The thirty years previous? Not so critical.

Nor is it critical to hold a global warming summit in Bali and to have everybody fly across the world in their Gulfstream personal jets to attend. We communicate right here on the net without really contributing to G.W. But no, everybody has to fly to a south pacific resort destination to figure it out. And I'll tellya, if they actually believe it's the biggest problem on the planet and going to seriously harm our way of life, nobody is flying to Bali. Is there man-caused warming, yes, and these fuckers caused it.

lookout123 04-01-2008 11:48 AM

Fair enough. My "or" was actually following on from my own earlier post which was meant as a tongue in cheek poke in the ribs not some deep statement.

spudcon 04-01-2008 04:51 PM

But Al Gore is still a dork and an attention whore.

SteveBsjb 04-01-2008 07:42 PM

I like Al Gore. Inconvenient Truth was good. It was interesting to learn about his son, dad, and sister.

smoothmoniker 04-01-2008 10:45 PM

Stuff White People Like: Awareness