The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mmmm...Mozilla 1.0 is out. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=1626)

shin 06-05-2002 02:10 PM

Mmmm...Mozilla 1.0 is out.

"Stick a fork in it, it's done."

Mozilla 1.0 is finally out, what do you all think?

dave 06-05-2002 02:24 PM

Posted from Mozilla 1.0.

Considering I've been using Mozilla for almost as long as I can remember, I think it's pretty damn good.

juju 06-05-2002 02:30 PM

This will provide new ammunition in the battle to convince other people to use it. :]

MaggieL 06-05-2002 02:44 PM

Not to mention that the news on the IE Gopher Hole broke today, too.

mhaw 06-06-2002 09:22 AM

system resources

are people finding 1.0 to be a drain on system resources, I recall this being a problem with earlier versions...

dave 06-06-2002 09:27 AM

Not at all. I'd recommend downloading it and trying it.

It eats up some RAM, but no more than IE does.

Undertoad 06-06-2002 09:50 AM

And the awesome theme "Sky Pilot" is now out. This is the best theme ever IMO... it changes a ton of things and actually improves usability.

Except that the "get new themes" address is hosed right now... probably because everyone has downloaded 1.0 and is trying all its nifty new features. (I got Sky Pilot last night at 1am)

dave 06-06-2002 10:12 AM

Would you care to fill me in as to how this godawful ugly ass mess improves usability? Orbit looks pretty nice though.

dave 06-06-2002 10:16 AM

I will probably stick with Gray Modern. It looks nice, it's pleasing, it's not high contrast... all in all, very pleasant to use. I can see how some people would like Sky Pilot, but its looks are most definitely not for me and I don't see how it "improves usability", though I am most certainly welcoming an explanation.

In the mean time, I think I'll take a nap.

Undertoad 06-06-2002 10:21 AM

Well, erm, it highlights the current active tab, has indicators on the scroll bar when it's active, and puts rollovers on the menu bar items and inactive tabs.

Also it shows how you can have a strong design and have it not suck, but I can see how many people would find it tacky.

MaggieL 08-02-2002 09:25 PM

Well, I finally upgraded from RC2 to 1.0. Folks who contemplate doing the same should be aware that some custom themes must be deleted from the Chrome directory to prevent an extremely scary bug: the inability to open new windows from Moz. Like Mail and News, ferinstance.

Slight 08-02-2002 11:13 PM

Using Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.1b) Gecko/20020722. Been using it since 1.0, 1.1b seems to have fixed some bugs. I use the theme Lo-Fi it takes the least space, I have the buttons on the same line as my address. Love tabs, love no pop-ups, like Google search from address with ^enter for results in new tab, like site icons, mac ver. remembers window position unlike ie. I no longer use ie. Moz may be slower and semi buggy but it is no ie (get it;). My roomy has profiles set up on his, seems like a nice feature so I can't mess up his settings. I tried the Cocoa port Chimera before but it was lacking, I am d/ling the latest ver. 0.4 to try out, It looks cleaner but it is slower because of the api calls.

MaggieL 08-02-2002 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Slight
I use the theme Lo-Fi it takes the least space
Yeah Lo-Fi is my choice too. I just reinstalled it to resolve the above bug. Then to make my life even more interesting I've installed OpenOffice. I hear you OS X guys may get a Java-based version of OO one of these days. I'm running it alongside StarOffice 5.1 for a while yo shake out the compatibility; I've been the editor of my amateur radio club newsletter for eight months, and every issue has been produced with StarOffice 5.1. People have raved about the layout and content, but If I'm unable to move forward compatibly I have A BIg Problem. ;-)