The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Rochester NY (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15150)

slang 08-21-2007 08:58 PM

Rochester NY

Anyone from the Rochester area?

Just taking a survey here.

lumberjim 08-21-2007 10:55 PM

approximately 219,773 people, slang.

Cloud 08-21-2007 11:22 PM

Survey says . . . .

NOPE!

Not even close. :)

slang 08-21-2007 11:34 PM

Ok.

Possibly Greece, Irondequoit, Webster or Henrietta? Suburbs of Rochester?

Anyone? This is where I'm at now. Thought maybe there was another dwellar out there closeby.

Cloud 08-21-2007 11:37 PM

isn't there a Cellar Frappr map somewhere?

slang 08-21-2007 11:41 PM

No one here. Ok, thanks.

steambender 08-22-2007 12:04 AM

Rachacha

ummmm...44 years, then moved to the left coast for the warmth. Still get back to visit family a few times a year.

miss the trees and open space, don't miss the snow or humidity.

not real close right now, but can still provide local G2 if needed.

slang 08-22-2007 12:32 AM

Just asking more out of curiosity than a need at this point.

This area has many years of family history for us. I wouldnt care to live here but I know a lot of people here and come every year or two to visit.

Shawnee123 08-22-2007 09:07 AM

Ex in-laws live in Greece. Have a cottage on Seneca Lake. What a beautiful area.

BigV 08-24-2007 10:12 AM

We have one, SonofV, the elder, who goes to school in (how'd you say it?) Rachacha, at RIT. It's his first time there and he's really excited, we're kind of relieved and nervous. The school's a much better fit for him, compared to Gallaudet in DC.

Beyond that, despite "living" in Rochester, I know next to nothing about it. I am an empty vessel--fill me up.

kgg 08-24-2007 08:10 PM

I know someone, two someone's actually that liver there. Does that count?

steambender 08-24-2007 09:29 PM

RIT & NTID

BigV,

NTID has a good reputation with the locals, and a large and vibrant community based around RIT from what I remember. the campus is southwest, on the river in the burbs, lots of open space around. The RIT campus has a large student population, a fair commuter percentage, and I used to recruit engineers there. It was a good solid school with good industry ties, not nearly as pretentious as the U of R. The fine arts programs are outstanding as well as graphics, micro-e , imaging and optics.

The SO and I would occasionally got to music events there that were interesting to old farts (roughly double the average age) and the NTID kids always got the front row, standing right in front of the wall of speakers with their hair being blown straight back, dancing in the sensation of pressure waves from the speakers. and they had interpretive signers for the music.

Indoor hockey rink, good program, lacrosse, all of the usual North east sports.

I know the chair of the electrical engineering techology program there if it's at all relevant, and would be happy to make an introduction.