The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Microsoft Vista (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15004)

TheMercenary 08-07-2007 10:19 AM

Microsoft Vista

Anybody got it yet?

Pro's / Con's?

Sooner or later this laptop will die. Just wondering what the "street" thought about the new program.

freshnesschronic 08-07-2007 10:28 AM

I heard it isn't compatible with shiiiiet and it has turned off a lot of people in the recent months.

I'm going to wait until Vista is absolutely necessary because XP won't run the newest Microsoft Word or something that requires me to switch because the bugs in Vista are too great, or so I've heard.

yesman065 08-07-2007 02:30 PM

We just got Vista 2 weeks ago - HAD TO - causing problems already - I'm hearing it 2nd hand so I don't know personally, but thats what I've heard.

Brett's Honey 08-07-2007 03:51 PM

I got a new laptop with Vista for Valentine's Day and have never had any problems at all. However, I work for AT&T doing dsl tech support, and I have talked to some people who have new computers with Vista that are really slow. Not just surfing, but even just opening up the control panel or programs in the control panel, it moves very slow. It isn't any certain brands, either, it has been with Dell, Toshiba, etc. I have only heard this from 8 or 10 people, which is a very small number of people, but they are very frustrated that their brand new computer is so slow.

Drax 08-07-2007 04:43 PM

Click here.

mbpark 08-08-2007 10:13 PM

I have it at work

I have it at work.

There are major printer compatibility issues (printer drivers completely changed). Many third-party drivers also need to be completely rewritten, including network drivers, Blackberry drivers (this personally hit me when i tried it), VPN clients, and video cards.

Microsoft Office versions prior to 2007 won't work on it.

Aero Glass is a RAM hog.

Otherwise, it's what you expect. Windows Vista is a big resource hog, isn't 100% backward compatible with many older programs, and needs more than 1GB of RAM to work correctly.

If you run a business, a large amount of the enterprise software still doesn't work right on IE7, let alone Vista (SAP especially!). A large amount of bespoke software written for businesses will need to run under SoftGrid or Citrix to run under Vista, if at all.

It's an underwhelming release, that's for sure. SP1 will hopefully fix many things.

manephelien 08-17-2007 02:39 AM

I'm not too keen on the idea. I'll keep upgrading and using my XP until it finally dies, probably sometime around 2010. I got my first computer in 1991, upgraded in 1997, then again in 2003. I'm hoping for at least another three years out of my current machine.

smurfalicious 08-17-2007 08:17 AM

http://jack.palmadesso.googlepages.com/osx.jpg

Flint 08-17-2007 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbpark (Post 373119)
Microsoft Office versions prior to 2007 won't work on it.

Please tell me this is a joke.

"I'm switching to Linux" is the new "I'm moving to Canada"

mbpark 08-17-2007 11:38 AM

No, it's not. Outlook 2003 has major issues and therefore, if you want to use Outlook, you have to upgrade to 2007.

OpenOffice, on the other hand, will work fine.

Elspode 08-20-2007 09:16 PM

Why would Microsoft *not* make it so you had to buy all of their other products new, too? Surely no one thinks that a couple of hundred bucks is all they want out of each and every human being on Earth?

tw 08-20-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 376800)
Why would Microsoft *not* make it so you had to buy all of their other products new, too?

Apple is doing the same thing. Try running your old Mac software on the new Mac.

Generally manufacturers try to avoid incompatibility. But when technology makes that incompatibility necessary, then we pay.

Generally most machines of three plus years age should not even be considered upgrading. If running Vista with a full security packages, then memory must exceed 1 Gbyte. 1 Gb is woefully too small.